What To Buy - Xr6T Bf Mkii Vs Fg

chrissara

• Inactive Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 22d

Hello all.

Been a long time member but rare poster (and lurker).

Sadly made a mistake about 4 years ago when I sold my XR6T (a BA 2003 model with the Brembo brakes). Reason I sold it was due to fuel consumption and lack of travel.

Kids have grown up a bit, need a tad more leg room in the back (they are 10 and 7 years old), and we are now doing a far bit more travelling on the good ol' A1 (the Bruce Highway) in regional Qld.

So....... I wish to get rid of the 2006 Expensive Daewoo Astra CDTi (actually not a bad car, but really sh*t when overtaking on the highway - I recall putting the foot to the floor in the XR6T when overtaking and literally going from 90 kph to 140 kph in under 4 secs - hell of a rush and a bit frightening too!).

I am looking at a BF MkII versus the FG models in an auto configuration (dealer second hand or demo). Is one model better than the other in the auto gearbox department at all? FG I see is slightly quicker 0-100 (5.2s vs 5.8-6 for the BF).

Anyone owned or own both that could comment? Also is boot space the same in both models?

Appreciate your comments.

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8d

Fg is going to bequicker at all speeds with its smaller turbo, but bf2s look better IMO :buttrock:

But really if you can afford it go the FG, obviously going tobe the better car.

• Like 1

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d

I know it's a bit cliche and somewhat a through-away line, but the FG is a totally different car. Worlds apart.

If the budget will stretch then most definitely get an FG, if not then don't even test drive one otherwise that'll be the end of it :buttrock:

To answer your question specifically the gearbox is pretty much the same, but a little bit smarter in the FG.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 17d

well have another fg v bf war here but anyway, fg is an absolute gem. test drove bf typhoons, gts and fg xr6t and there was no comparison. fg all the way, wish I could have afforded the f6 but the t is awesome anyway.

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 6m 23d

as stated above. They are a completely different car. The Fg (for me) took me some time to get used to but I cant fault the thing.

• Member For: 14y 1m 13d

I own a FG xr6t and my mate just bought a BA xr6t (practically the same as what you're looking at). The interior of the FG is miles better than the BA, more functionality, ergonomic and easier to use and nicer, it should be on a newer car. Also the power delivery in the FG is astonishing, boost comes on early and hard, but you can drive it normally with ease, mainly because of the great ZF. If your not modding it (I'm assuming you won't because it's a family car) then it's a lot better to begin with, and if you do decide to mod it more power is very easy to come by. But mods wise the BF 2 will be better for big power, of that was what you are after. If funds permit I'd get the FG, plus you've already had a b-series why not try something new :P

• Member For: 13y 7m 8d

This topic has been playing on my mind for a while. Ive had my 03 BA XT for quite some time now and done a few mods to it, exhaust, suspension, cai etc, but ive come to the point where I can sell up (to a family member) and go looking for another car and definitely going a T this time.

The main differences between BF MKII and FG are almost $10k apart. A second hand fully optioned 2007 BFMKII can be had for as low as 20k whereas a 2008 FG, with bare minumum options (if your lucky) can be found for as low as 30k. The other problem I have found is either going an auto or manual. The XT being a 4spd has left me dying for a manual. Unfortunately there are hardly any manual cars around in either FG or BFMKII. I might end up having to buy interstate to find a low km manual.

I dont know whether I can justify an extra 10k for a car that's only a year younger. It is the FG, and a lot better/quicker turbo. But for 10k more and without BFMKII options like colour screen, premo sound, leather.. is the FG really worth it?

I wont be buying till another two months so maybe prices will change a bit and more cars will enter the market. I might end up getting a ZF box as a last resort and I will definitely be looking at getting the car to around 300rwkw in its future. decisions decisions.

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8d

Bf mk2s fully optioned for 20k hey :dontknow: