Inlet Maniold Bolts Loose

robby

• Member For: 13y 9m 9d

Hey guys dont know if anyone else has found this on there BA turbos but I thought id let you know what happened with mine. After cleaning out throttle body (rough idle problem) I started the car and noticed engine lift bracket on the inlet manifold side moving I stopped the engine and checked the bolts in the inlet manifold and found all of htem to be very loose you can get to all the bolts if you remove the cross over pipe and get the others from under the car.Might be worth a check guys and idle is perfect now

• Member For: 17y 11d

Got a 'fix' for the Bolts holding the Manifold onto the Block!

- Ford fits the Bolts through the Heat Shield and Manifold, then into the Block!

- The constant hot/cold of the Manifold causes the Heat Shield to shrink and the Nuts get loose!

Found a good old fashioned Engineer who simply replaced the Studs with longer ones.

- He then bolted the Manifold 'directly' to the Block, fitted the Heat Shield over the longer Bolts and then fitted separate Nuts over the Heat Shield to hold it in place!

As for the Bolts to the rear of the Turbo, they have the same hot/cold problem!

- The Ford Nuts are Copper jacketed and when they to work loose, they are basically shagged!

- I replace them with new ones and I get 'marginally' better wear before they come loose again.

At the end of the Day, it's just another 'pain in the Ass' ongoing maintenance issue!

But at least we fixed 'part' of it!

• Member For: 16y 9m 27d

interesting, would you mind posting a pic of the manifold bolt / stud setup?

My understanding of the problem was that the heating / cooling of the bolts causes them to stretch overtime, then they are able to vibrate loose from the harmonics of the turbo.

that setup could work really well, as the second nut holding the sheilds on, acts as a locknut. :beerchug:

• Member For: 17y 11d

I'm no good at the Posting Pictures thing, but I can tell you it works!

- I had to have them redone after every Track Day previously!

I'll have a crack at it next Tuesday!

- Too busy packing tonight.

- Off to the Phillip Island Regularity event tomorrow morning

- Saturday and Sunday!

A bit of a haul from Sydney!

• 2 years later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d

Here's something we did during the VIC DIY Day in May 2012 - since search for Manifold Bolts comes up with this thread - thought this was a good one to pin up :thumbsup:

:beerchug:

• Like 2