Black Smoke

aking

• Member For: 14y 10m 9d

got in the car today and drivin down the street and wen I take of and get to 2nd gear at about 3500rpm at blows black smoke out the exsaust also the car seems to be fluttering louder then it normal did. dont no if im getting worked up over nothing but im worried. it is a 2003 ba xr6 turbo with 56000km. dose anyone no y it could be doing this. I am going to be selling the car in about 4 weeks and dont want anything to go wrong with it befor hand

• Member For: 14y 4m

Hey mate mite just be a build up of sh*t in the exhaust had a similar thing with my fg xr6t wenever I started it she would blow a puff of black smoke

someone told me its from driving it like a grandma and I needed to open her up once in a while to clean all the sh*t out of the exhaust sure enough fixed the prob.

• Member For: 14y 10m 9d

thanks everyone I have being driving like a granny lol havnt opened it up for agers. ill see it it keeps happening. I was under the imspession that diffrent smokes were diffrent things like black engine, blue its burning oil, white is somethng to do with the turbo. is any of this true or just mith.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 7d

Yeah black usually means running rich. But it should be accompanied by a smell. And not the type after you get after eating Burritos.

But seriously, it blows the black smoke at around 3500 and then farts and carries on a bit out the exhaust? Sounds like a cam angle sensor. Have you checked them? Drivers side in particular. It gets cooked on that side due to turbo heat.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 7d

Black is usually overfueling, in my old suby it would do it when giving it a**holes as it was running to rich so would just dump excess fuel out the exhaust. Blue is Oil burning normally, and white is usually associated with water not just the turbo.

• 6 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 3m 6d

hi mate I have the same issue and have checked the cam sensor thw iring seems to be melted would you reccomend doing the sensor aswell or just repair the wiring first cheers jay

Yeah black usually means running rich. But it should be accompanied by a smell. And not the type after you get after eating Burritos.

But seriously, it blows the black smoke at around 3500 and then farts and carries on a bit out the exhaust? Sounds like a cam angle sensor. Have you checked them? Drivers side in particular. It gets cooked on that side due to turbo heat.