New Pwr Fg Cooler

HIRO F6

• Member For: 15y 2m 27d

Hi All,

Got sent this from PWR this week:

http://www.pwr.com.au/#/view=info/s=ns/p=93/

I had never seen a step core before. I had previously ran the original PWR FG F6 cooler and is wasnt the greatest cooler available, but did the job.

What does everyone think of this option?

Below is a pic of PWR's original FG F6 cooler.

The above cooler did not stack up compared to the other options on the market at the time.

So, what's everyone's thoughts?

Karl

Edited by HIRO F6

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

nice amendment karl ;)

I had thought originally why someone couldnt just step it out at the bottom. still dont think it will be big enough for people pushing the boundaries but a pretty cool concept. there is no reason why the bottom bit couldnt be like 150mm thick and bring it right out to the front of the bumper.

• Member For: 14y 4m 24d

There are 2 FGs in QLD running around with the New PWR stepped cooler in them. One is mine.

For me the appeal was ZERO cutting of the stock car in any way. Im not sure on insurance companies finer

details or criteria, but for me avoiding hassles in the unlikely event of an accident was apprealing, due to this cooler

being the only one I could find that didnt cut the car (or in this case) upper bar reo anyway...

Also the appeal of the intercooler being compatible with stock pipes... or stock pipe shape equivalent, despite the slightly

steeper angle of the inlet (also the added upper tank volume compared to that of the F6 Cooler) to aid flow to the usually

unused upper tubes

Data wise the two cars have loggers on them full time, everytime they are driven.. Logging pressures and temps at 3 points across

the entire intake of the FG along with engine water temps, all compared to the stock XR & F6 Coolers...

PWR when asked why the stepped cooler? Because no body else can...

Anyway its not for me to ramble on about, for now judge for yourself..

PWR_FG_XR6T_F6_G6E_stepped_Cooler4.jpg

PWR_FG_XR6T_F6_G6E_stepped_Cooler5.jpg

PWR_FG_XR6T_F6_G6E_stepped_Cooler6.jpg

PWR_FG_XR6T_F6_G6E_stepped_Cooler1.jpg

PWR_FG_XR6T_F6_G6E_stepped_Cooler3.jpg

Mine as one of two cars running data loggers I have 3 snippets of data from the earlier days in march..Mine the stocker of the two..

Data26.jpg

First Graph above: Sub 12.90 pass Top of first gear 0.01PSI pressure drop and an intercooler outlet temp of 1 degF above ambient.

Total temp drop across the cooler at this stage was 24Deg F. (oh to the keener observer on this day the in and out TEMP channels

are in reverse)

Data_27.jpg

Second Graph: After hitting Rev limiter in First Gear (Oooops), at half track, the pressure drop at this stage is 0.43PSI

and an intercooler outlet temp of 8DegF above ambient. the Total temp drop across the cooler at this half track stage is 88DegF.

Data_28.jpg

By the end of 400mts and just touching rev limiter in 3rd gear (on the ZF) and the boost on the otherwise standard car lowering

as it climed in speed and rpm (??). The pressure drop at this closing stage was 0.02PSI with an intercooler outlet temp of 12DegF

above ambient.. Total temp drop across the cooler at this stage was 100DegF..

Anyway enough ramble from me. PWR will (I guess) tell the rest, with more on engine water temps with this cooler compared to the stock

xr and F6 units and even some exh back pressure tests thrown in.

Cheers

Edited by Sir20B

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 17d

Do they offer replacement piping? I like the idea of no cutting and standard configuration of piping but I thought a stronger piping was a bit of a must for anyone doing an upgrade as the factory pipes are a bit of a weak link no? with a kit that requires no cutting I could almost fit it myself!

x2 on the pricing as im in the market for a new cooler at the moment.

Cheers,