• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 3d

thought you meant loading a tune

flash it back to stock and then tune it

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 3d

Can I flash it back to stock with the xcal 3 or do I need the xcal 1?

If you have yours tuned with the xcal1 then flash it back to stock with the 1 and then get it tuned with the 3. The xcal1 can still be used if you have tunes your tune on it already, just can't use it for tuning

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 10y 4m 19d

Hope someone can help me here understand this POS concept of having "lives" in an $800 investment(most rediculous idea re programmable ecu's piggybacks etc iv ever heard of)..

SO ? If I buy a new Xcal 3 and have a custom tune installed (actually 3 individual tunes) can I return to stock then retune(overwrite) that "life" and still be on 1 life ?? so contunually modifying that same life ? Or if I have another tune done down the track do I have to use up another "life" again making that 2 strikes ??

Also can I reset/revive the lives by sending it anywhere and paying a fee ??

sorry iv tried to read up but just cant get my head around this rediculous concept.. :/

• Member For: 10y 4m 19d

Ahh ok thanx a lot Dragons..

that's a little BIT easier to swallow :/

I still dont understand it as the "tuner" needs a dongle to install tunes so really they are just selling units :/

I cant believe they still hold it over our head and essentially "own" the right to say what u do or dont do with your own box..

As the tuners are the only real access owners and they sell units for them I dont see the issue as long as the tuners dont go using 1 box and loading it on heaps of cars, which they would be silly to do anyways as they dont get a sell outta the customer..
MY apologies for my mini rant as iv never come across something like this..

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 4d

Without the lock any tuner could use a single xcal unit to flash all his customers cars.(you'd be naive to think it wouldn't happen - $800 odd difference in price between a first tune with a legit xcal and a shared one - would be tempting to both owner and tuner)

Would also be a fair bit of "passing around" of tunes between friends too. Followed pretty quick by the backlash when the xcal is blamed for dead engines.

I too was a bit iffy on the lockout, but, thinking about it - the only times I can see where (when being used legitimately) there could be an issue is if for some reason it lost the match to a car it was matched to.