Tyre Comparo - Which Ones Are Good?

EvilDaifu

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

Put a new set of Neuton NT5000 tyres on my taxi last week. They do grip rather well, and at $560 for a set of four 235/40ZR18s they are a good deal.

Plus, I've got the full Brembo setup now - 6 piston front, 4 piston rear, DBA5000 front discs, Goodrich braided lines all round.

I do the occasional demo to passengers to show how well the car can stop.

Males in their 20s generally don't bother putting seat belts on. The two side passengers have got seats in front of them that they can grab onto, to prevent from flying forwards.

The guy in the middle doesn't. So, it's hands and arms flying everywhere, grabbing hold of anything possible to stop them sliding forward. Such as the other males. Resulting in laughter and homosexual accusations from the driver. It's good that you want to let your inner feelings out on a weekend night, but there are special nightclubs that you can do that in, instead of in my taxi.

With the NT5000s, I'm doing some rather sudden brake stops and not using ABS (ie plenty of grip).

Would be good if someone could try a set of these tyres on a high performance car (instead of my taxi LPG I6) and see how they handle high horsepower loads.

• Member For: 17y 5m 6d

Ok, so my comments regarding the NT-05's were a little hasty. I've got probably 100km on them now and they seem much better. I took the car out for a run last night, and am almost maintaining full traction through 1st gear! Even better is the cornering - this thing punches out of corners like a WRX now. I made up a little video for you guys as promised. Take note of the last run through 1st, there was only some very slight tramping, but otherwise very glued to the road. Oh, and this was with less than 40km in the tank too.

Overall I am now very happy with my NT-05's, it shall be interesting to see what sort of km's I get out of these.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 28d

Okay so I'm in the market for new tires.. Unsure whether there will be new rims or not (definitely won't be going bigger then 18s due to roads and work use).. But I've currently got Dunlop sport maxx?? Or something.. I can't really remember.. But what I want is a good tire tread design that won't pick up every loose stone I drive across and give me that annoying duk duk duk duk duk while I drive around town.. Does such a thing exist? Had 595's and they were just as bad..

• Member For: 12y 4m 20d

I have Toyo Proxes T1Rs on both my VY SS (2nd set) and FG F6E - sticky as hell with lots of warning when they are about to break loose. Excellent wet perf (but nothing will ever keep an F6 completely footed in the wet except Grandma), strong sidewalls and all Silica construction. The Dunlops really start to loose grip when inflated to over 43PSI but the Toyos keep getting better all the way to 48.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Inactive Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 25d

Hey folks. Thanks for this thread, really helped get my head around the tyre issue. Needed a new set for my BFII turbo (235/45/R17) and after reading this thread was leaning toward the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym's but phoned around on a few of the others mentioned too. Then stumbled upon a great price on Pirelli Zero Nero's ($192 a corner - Blairs Tyres Peakhurst in Sydney - 9584 2777). They are parralell imports from what I can ascertain and the next best price I could get on them was $265. No one had mentioned them but I did some other scratching aound and the reviews were pretty decent and the price difference to the Goodyears was compelling. Went on yesterday arvo and first impressions are very good. Definitely better than the last set but that can't be hard as I was sold up the river by a tool at Bob Janes. Went in asking for a good performance tyre, pointed out a few decent brands in the catalogue and somehow got talked into a set of Bob Jane generics. The things were absolute rubbish in all facets, dry, wet, durability, just utter pants. Anyhoo, will let you know how the Pirelli's are after they've been on a while and seen some changeable condidtions. Below are the best prices I came across on some of the other tyres mentioned in this thread. Sorry they're all Sydney based.

Falken FK452 - $160 [Tempe Tyres (02 8577 8577)]

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 (Chinese) - $238 [blairs Tyres (9584 2777)

Michelin Pilot Spot 3 - $245 [Jax (internet special)]

Cheers.

Edited by Prawn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

Well it was back on 5 Oct 2010 I bought a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics (Made in China). Cost me $900 for the full set fitted and balanced. The rears lasted me until 16 June 2011 (from my post that's 8 months and 12,000km :crybaby: ) Replaced the rears with Michelin Pilot Sport 3s at about $238 each ($476 for the rear pair). Left the front Asymmetrics on. Today had to change out he front Asymmetrics finally today 9 Jan 2012 - so the fronts lasted me for 16 months. Replaced them with the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics 2 (Made in Germany) for $258 each fitted and balanced. Will let you fellas know how they go over the next few months - but pleased with them so far :thumbsup:

The Michelin's PS3s are lasting pretty well considering they have been used on many forum cruises including the Combined States Snowy Cruise last year. I'm hoping I can change out the Michelins maybe middle of this year to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics 2 (on the basis they are as good as or better than the Asymmetric 1s I used to have) :nod:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 13d

BIg thumbs up here for the GY assymetric 2, my bf foon bearly breaks traction when they're hot, good all round tyre. I'll see how they last, done 5000 so far so good