Tyre Comparo - Which Ones Are Good?

EvilDaifu

• Member For: 14y 7m 18d

I used to have the A1 asyms on my xr8 (245 wide) and they stuck well with over 380RW. Still thought I needed wider rears though but worked better than a lot of others I have tried over the years. Currently running SP Sport Maxx TT on the XRT and they are ok also, not as good as the asyms though.

• Member For: 19y 3m 9d

Yes, I would replace them again with Goodyear F1 Assymetrics when times comes to change them .... The performance out of them is enough to make me shell out the coin for them even though they don't last that long. This time I may order them from Tire Rack though and make sure I get the ones made in Germany :thumbsup:

Do you think there would be any interest in doing a group buy to minimise the shipping costs over to here? Not sure if there is any advantage in doing that though - so will investigate further. I'd be after 235/45/R17s though I.e. standard Dunlop OEM replacements.

• The Goodyear Asymmetric F1's were essentially out of stock in Sydney as of December last year. Goodyear did not known when new stocks would arrive. This may or may not be the current situation, but good luck trying to get any information from the 'Contact Us' section of the Goodyear website.
  • The only Goodyear Asymmetric available as of December last year in the 17" XR6T OEM size came from China. The concept of Chinese quality control is meaningless in the pandemic of corruption that defines China at the moment. I do not want Chinese mission critical components on my family car.
  • The Goodyear Asymmetric F1 is now obsolete. The new model is Goodyear Asymmetric F1 model 2.
  • According to the buzz, the new design model 2 contains fundamental and significant advances on the original F1. Whilst tyre marketing hype is often difficult and more so pointless to penetrate, the F1 model 2 does sound to be as big news as was its illustrious predecessor. We will see for ourselves if and when it arrives.
    Goodyear Assymetric F1 Mk 2

In any case, direct import would seem the only reasonable means of obtaining non-Chinese made Goodyear F1 Asymmetric, whether they be the original version or the model 2.

Regards,

aa

Edited by aiboart

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 5d

Last time I was due for four new shoes I was forced to go Marongoni Mythos as I couldn't source Advan V 103s in 19 " which I had on the car.

IMO the Yokohama V103s are a top tyre with excellent traction rating. Yokohama are also a site advertiser ,so maybe we should hit them up for a group buy.

Buy direct and bypass the dealers and pocket the savings :innocent:

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 19d

Okay, well put on the new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's 17inchers on my rears (cost $239 each fitted and balanced at JAXQuickFits) and been trying them out the last few days. They came in first spot on the June Wheels tyre test. I reckon I've been spoilt with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics cos I could hardly tell much difference (not as much as when I went from the OEM factory Dunlops to the Goodyears). But I like the Eagle F1s a little more because I remember when I first got them I could not spin the rears but with these brand new Pilot Sport 3's I can still do that a little unintentionally (which is really annoying because I was expecting a bit more grip). Having said that though, it's a gradual loosening of grip and it feels controllable (if you sort of get my drift). The Michelins also do not have rubber overhangs on the rims to protect the rims like the Goodyears - they sort of sit back a bit so that the rim edges are exposed to possible gutter rash. So have to be a little more careful when parking against gutters with the Michelins. Some reviewers have said the Michelins are quieter but I can't tell. Maybe because I've still got the Goodyears on the front and they are closer to me? Cornering is much better than a few days ago when I had the balding Goodyears still on the rears that's for sure. But I don't know how they would have compared if I had brand new Goodyears on :dontknow: I guess still early days. Goin on the South Gippy cruise this weekend so that will give them a working out I suppose :beerchug:

Edited by EvilDaifu

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Well, just came back from the South Gippy Cruise today - and the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's held up well - gripped into the corners like I was on rails :thumbsup: Not much tire noise either which is different from the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. On the dryer roads of the VIC Alpine Cruise had a lot of squeal from the Goodyears (though they were nearing the end of their life at that stage). Also, today, I was not really pushing it - had a bad back. Some of the roads near Korumburra had some wet spots in the shady corners and I felt the tyres handled them well. I still like the look of the Goodyears though - so I'd probably still be buying another set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics 2 when my next tyre update is due probably next year :thumbsup:

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

I must say, these Michelin Pilot Sport 3s are starting to grow on me on the rears. I like how they progressively slip and I can tell just how much I can do before they lose grip. Especially with Melbourne being so wet. I don't recall being able to do that with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics. Good value as well at $239 per corner for the Michelins :thumbsup:

Edited by EvilDaifu

• 2 weeks later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Well having driven the Michelin Pilot Sport 3s now on wet roads a bit - would not recommend them on wet roads. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics beat them hands down. I just don't get enough traction down on the ground. I never noticed this with the F1s. Am thinking now I should have put the old F1s on the back instead of leaving them on the front as I still had a reasonable amount of tread left on the fronts. Ah well - hopefully come next tyre change, I'll put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics 2s all round if they are available and I can afford them :thumbsup:

Found a review of the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics 2s here. They look pretty good once again!

So probably another year and I'll be ready for another set of tyres :beerchug:

Edited by EvilDaifu

• Member For: 19y 3m 9d

I just bought a pair of the Goodyear Asymmetric F1 Mk 2 in 17", which are now fitted to the front of the car.

The rear is still running Goodyear Asymmetric F1.

So far I have not had the opportunity to do any real dynamic evaluations of the new tyres, however, the initially impressions of the Mk 2's, albeit as part of a mixed set of tyres are:

• They are again made in Germany! Sanity prevails.
  • They are exceedingly quiet at speed.
  • They are exceedingly light, this is very noticeable in the steering. They are also very smooth on broken surfaces.
  • They are can run a higher air pressure without inducing harshness, or, high frequency vibration (ringing) into steering.
  • Their day to day dynamics appear to be at least as good as their venerable predecessors.

Regards,

aa

Edited by aiboart