Beefing Up The Zf

winter bft

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 5m 15d

Also, what are your thoughts on genuine zf oil? is it worth it?

Used it for the first 3 or 4 transmissions years ago and had nothing but trouble with HP above STD so I went to Castrol TransmaxZ and have not a had a problem since.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

that's a noteworthy endorsement then!

Do they really need to be filled using a complicated procedure?

• Like 1

• F6+300+

Not sure its complicated as such.

Basically check with engine running and fill to the bottom of the fill hole in the r/h rear side.Just above Pan level.

So another words fill till its running out the same hole your filling from with the engine running and then make sure you put the filler Plug back in whilst the engine is still running...

Drive it and recheck (with engine Running) once its settled down and warm and the air has bled out.

• Member For: 15y 9m 28d

thank you so much for your help F6_Tornado. I got a quote around the $2500 mark and that's if I take out the trany, let them fit clutch packs, and for me to put the box back in. does that sound a little pricey?

• F6+300+

I guess that depends on what they are putting in it! however to me that sounds high as you are removing and fitting and as such will be paying for the oil, labor etc so all they will be doing is modifying a couple of clutch packs and depending on what Input shaft is in it now maybe a new Shaft. U need to know what they are changing.

It would have to be absolutely U/S to cost that much and maybe they are quoting a worst case?

However they may quote worst case and if its in good nick then they make a killing but if its rooted they only make 30% profit. :spit:

A steel Pan with a Drain and changeable filter is @ $300. but next service all u need to buy is a Filter.

The weak point are E and B clutches and they both need to be beefed up along with the input shaft if its the older type. it doesn't hurt to do A,C & D packs whilst in there.

But you can only go so far as the Intermediate shaft along with the input will only take so much HP so there is a limit to what you can do and as such a limit to what you can spend on one.

Like I said before U need to know what they are changing.Or what they are telling you they are changing.

• Like 1

well the box has never missed a beat, doesn't slip and changes gears perfectly. I just want to beef it up before I eff it up. they told me they add a few clutch packs and change the input shaft to an FG one. the steel pan and oil I will be supplying. where can I buy clutch packs and the input shaft from?

• F6+300+

Farkkkkk Input shaft is only @ $500.00 including a BIG mark up (I pay much less) so that leaves $2k for a handful of plates and discs with some piston machine work @ $100. Couple of hours labor!!

Id be shopping around if I was you.

Maybe ask some of the guys who have had them done and see what they have paid? and ask by Whom.

thank you so much for your help. your a gun. I would've got ripped-off if it wasn't for this forum. thanks heaps again. also is there anyone/anywhere you can recommend for me to buy the parts that I will need?

Edited by winter bft