Fg Ute Axle Tramp

Guest Slash

• Member For: 16y 9m 14d

I dunno someone said here earlier that they had them and it still tramped. I would say mal woods stuff would work if all set up correctly his gear is genrally pretty top quaity.

cal tracks are more than a tramp rod the fastest leaf sprung cars in the world run caltracks. and split mono leafs

• Member For: 16y 10m 30d

No difference??? Calctracks work so their is a big difference

when I enquired about the caltracks I was told I should raise my car to standard height and then the caltracks would work 100% so they wouldn't guarantee it either. Axle tramp can come down to numerous things,tyres,leafs,ride height. Find some1 who will guarantee it for me without lifting my car to standard height and I'll eat my words.

• 1 month later...
  • Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member For: 21y 1m 2d

I got 2010 manual fg ute. Tramps regardless of driving style, 1st 2nd 3rd, weather its clutching it, e brake, or even just gunning it hard. I have not yet lost traction without the ass jumping around. Its really f*cked me off, I dont even brake traction at all now, just cos I know it will happen. It has really put a big thumbs down on the utes for me. The roads were I live are a little bumpy and I cant WOP anything before 4th cos one bump and it just goes spastic.

Post a fix if you find one, or even things that help reduce it. I would love to stop this.

Axle tramp has hounded cars with live axles for ever and after 40 years driving I too have had my fair share of cars with this problem however I believe that I have a solution and so do the V8 utes as this racing category uses Mal Wood Auto tramp rods in all of the Ford utes.

The issue of axle tramp in leaf sprung vehicles can be drawn out a bit but I would like to give you a list of procedures that I believe reduces axle tramp.

• You must have good springs and I have tried them all, I currently use Lovells and these have proven to best I have used.
  • Good shocks are a must and most people will not realise that most shocks are stuffed after 20,000k
  • In my ute I removed the rubber from around the spring where the diff housing bolts on, I made alloy spacers that locates the saddle directly onto the leaf spring and I use a heavy plate under the spring and using the factory U/Bolts I bolt it up tight.
  • I then use my MWA Tramp rod kit, this is a bolt on kit with no welding required and no holes to drill, the fitting of the tramp rods takes about 2 to 3 hours to fit and adjust
  • And last but not least I reduce the tyre pressures, on my ute I had 38 lb in the rears and reduced that to 28 lb
  • Overall the ute hooks up fine and all it does is turn the tyres and doesn't tramp.

I hope this helps guys so if you are interested I have these kits in stock for $895. Mal Wood

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 6d

I had pretty bad axle tramp when the ute was stock but after lowering the ute with pedders and adding front and rear sway bars I'm not getting any axle tramp at all..in the wet the rear is very predictable and slides out nice and smooth, in the dry it launches much better before loosing a bit of traction

Edited by 4.0T

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 6d

What did you lower the ute with from Pedders 4.0T??

Just the standard stuff, sports ryder 2994 front coils and they reset the rear leafs, whiteline 20mm sway bar in the rear and adjustable 33mm in the front.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Jamie
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 14d

FIXED with Malwood Weld-in Tramp Rods. I literally did my first decent burnout as I left the welders workshop for a minute on the spot, no tramping at all. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

• Like 3