Help Choosing First Mod(S)

hollow1

• Awesome...
  • Member For: 13y 9m 20d

Where to now. Just had flash tuner on my xr6t. Alleged to now be at around 300kw. Already have CAI. Would doing the exhaust first or start looking at BOVs or injectors be the next option. . Tune is at 10 psi. Very impressed for bang for buck.

Dont do any more mods whilst running the 10psi tune. Any other mods will cause issues with the car and possibly damage it.

From here, I would be collecting bits and pieces, and bolt it on then off for a custom tune.

Do:

Deka 60lb Injectors $350

Surge tank and 044 - $800+

FMIC $1000+

4" Dump -> Hi-flow cat -> twin 2.5 or single 3.5

Custom tune $900-1300

Bov can pretty much be last on your list.

• RUS531
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 5d

Hi Mate,

I used to own a lightning strike BF xr6 ute.... its still somewhere on the site with the new owner... now for mods.

The other guys are right, on the KW/$ ratio, you do need to spend a lot more and get a lot less with the NA's.... but I'm not going to tell you to strap forced induction to it... obviously that is an easy option... something you wouldn't jump on here and ask about.

My recommendations are: exhaust, tune, and intake.

Exhaust: Because the BF's use two O2 sensors (one before, and one after the cat) you can't just go and change the cat, unless you get it tuned out.

For extractors I used pacemakers. I chose the 4490s for more lower down torque. The 4495's offer better high end power.

The cat remained in place and I used an xforce cat back system. Unlike the turbo brother, a exhaust that flows too good can cost you power

Intake: I used a Blue Power Racing CAI, which I held onto because it is a great bit of gear. I didn't do back to back dynos but it definitely improved things. The next best thing would be to throw a k&n panel filter into your airbox and add the snorkel under the headlight

Tune: Go to a reputable tuner!! There are great tuners as sponsors on this site. As mentioned before I believe that no cats have been developed to comply with the emission laws that the BFs follow. I have been told you can still change the cat and have the second sensor tuned out, however if this is done then reloading the stock tune will result in the ECU throwing out a fault and going into limp mode.... I don't believe changing the cat will give you many gains. I'm no tuning expert but I found with the NA if you haven't done cams there isn't really any need to move the rev limiter as the knee of the torque curve is before the stock RPM cut out. This may be different if using 4495... anyway I found after tuning and finding out this point, shifting around here was much more effective.

There are other mods like underdrives, cams, but I believe the above are a better stepping stones.

Like someone else mentioned, Ford Forums do have a great NA section.

I welcome feedback if I have told any lies in the above.

Cheers

Cameron

• RUS531
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 5d

I was looking at the SS induction growler a while ago but I've read a few times it's overpriced. The blue power CAIs do look pretty nice. I had a quick look on ebay, but couldn't find any so I might have to contact XFT and see how much they sell them for.

Not to take anything away from Simon.... but why not contact them direct?