Radar Detectors <merged Topic>

OwnaXR6T

• ....Time to lay this fairytale aside......
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 18d
  • Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet!

Well Squire,

I reckon in NSW the draconian law makers have made them illegal because they like to flex their political muscles. Here in WA the law enforcers have got state of the art speed detection gear that makes radar detectors all but useless (and the Gov't get their tax bite from the purchaser of radar detectors, who are the bumb ones? :innocent: )

From what I have learnt it is not worth the fine if you get caught with one of these devices. So if your 'mate' really want's one move to WA or NT.

• FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 11d

Excellent invention, wish I still had mine. Been thinking of getting one flown in from NZ where they're still common place. Cinncinatti Microwave used to be leaders when I got mine.

Scotty

• Member For: 20y 7m 22d

I had my own detector for about 18 months until it broke it and I had a friends for about 6 months because I had to repair it. They are a great item to have in your car but highly illegal. I think the fine use to be around $1000 with no loss of points if it was handed over on the side of the road. If the car had to be impounded to find the detector the fine was doubled. It's most probably changed now.

The one I had was a Bell detector with laser and radar function. Saved me a few times and never got caught. They can be still purchased over the net from WA.

• ....Time to lay this fairytale aside......
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 18d
  • Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet!

I've got a Bell Vector XR850, cost $860, good only for the mobile radars. It detects laser, multinova and road crew radar as well. But as I stated in my previous post the gear the cops have got makes the detector all but useless, also being first car all the time does'nt help :lol:

With mulitnova, if you are just over the speed limit you can just slow down in time before the cameras radar detects you. Lasers.......if the gun is directly at you when the trigger is depressed......forget it, same as with mobile radar, as soon as it is switched on.......bang!...they have got you, if the mobile radar is left on then you have a good chance of beating it.

Years ago I had a Whistler radar detector, in them days the mobile radars gave off a ground speed check pulse, the best I got was about 1.5 km from detecting the single pulse to the cop switching it on to check my speed, pretty impressed, that was out in WA's wheatbelt, and yeah I was down to 110kph well before then. :finger:

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 20y 11m 19d

Radar detectors....

Waste of money. A good radar operator will beat one every time. The fines are huge and the consequences are worse as far as insurance companies go.

The best way if a CB radio or just watch what truck drivers do. If they're going fast then there are no HWP around.

• Member For: 20y 4m 2d

Guys,

Isn't there a product from NZ where you can spray your number plates and the camera's can't pick up the number plate detail ???

I think its got something to do with reflection off the plates.

Not sure how it would work with the police radar detector, or the new non-flash cameras.

Anyone with any info ?

• FORD FORD FORD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 11d

Spray used a lot by bikers, illegal of course. As is anything that impedes clarity/vision of your plates.

Plonky, I believe detectors are worth the risk as you pointed out good operators are clever, but how many operators are good for hours on end. Would get a bit ho-hum wouldn't it?

Scotty

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 20y 11m 19d

Spray doesn't work at all. It is a con.

There are plenty of good operators and it doesn't become boring considering most HWP are radar dependant.

Because I don't use radar a lot I actually sue it to catch serial speeders so therefore I read the traffic and listen to the trucks as they usually give up the people that drive like loonies because it takes the heat off them.