Bf Rear Roter Removal

Rudiger

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

Anyone have any tips on rear rotor removal on a BF when the things wont budge? The hand brake is off.

Most say bang them with a sledge hammer. Not keen but if that's what it takes.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Anyone have any tips on rear rotor removal on a BF when the things wont budge? The hand brake is off.

Most say bang them with a sledge hammer. Not keen but if that's what it takes.

Yeh not the best way.

Mate you will see a rubber bung on the rotor, or a hole if the bung is missing. If you shine a torch in and to the outer of it you will see a cogged wheel. That is your hand brake pre tensioner. You have to turn that in so it sits on the slave and it should just pop off then. Maybe a tap with a rubber mallet if it's a bit stuck.

I think you turn it clockwise.

Edited by XR09

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members

Cant see any cogged wheel. There was a rubber bung. Removed that. All I see is like a cable.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Cant see any cogged wheel. There was a rubber bung. Removed that. All I see is like a cable.

Oh dear.

Have they been off before? Phfft Bf of course they have. Bugger. OK they might not have put the rotors back so you can't get to it. Use a rubber mallet or something softer than a sledge hammer to get it most of the way off. Bout three quarters. Like bang it around the circumference. it will move just a bit. It will take a while. Or just get the sh*ts and use the sledge lol

Better make sure the cars sitting tight and wont rock off the stands. When it's almost off look around the hub and you will find it. It is a T slave cylinder. And that has the pretensioner on it. You have to screw that in and they will slide right off. remember when refitting them to put the hole so you can get to it and re tighten it. But not too much. The wheel needs to be free spinning. Then make sure your handbrake works as it did.

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members

Bugger

I rotate the wheel ands I get a different view through the hole I can see the bolts holding on the hand brake bracket etc. No cog. An couple of a allen bolts I could access through the hole and another bolt opposite this at the toip but it doesnt line up with the hole.

Should I just remove the hand brake perhaps or that wont help? Surely this cant be that hard?

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Na it's a pretensioner so it wont help taking the handbrake off. Just more work. I found these pic's on another forum I cant post pics :( hope the link helps

Australian Ford Forums - How to Ajust or Replace Hand Brake (IRS)

This will take you through it step by step

Sorry remember you are just taking the rotors off and don't need to go as far as he does

Edited by XR09

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members

No luck. Theres no big screw just a rubber grommet which I removed. Nothing keeping it stuck to the hub that I can see. I rotate the hid/rotor and look in with a torch and I can see what looks like the springs hoilding the handbrake shoes but no adjustment mechanism at all.

Man this is soooo aggravating.

Even in that link it comes off easy.

Pain in the rear...literally.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Bugger

Only way I know then is too like pull on one side of the rotor and hit the other side with something softish. Use a block of wood to soften the blow of a hammer if you have not got a rubber mallet. Like pull on 6 o'clock and hit at 12 and go around the rotor like that. It will slowly move off, like very slowly. Then when you are about 3/4 of the way off you maybe able to see the cog wheel then and be able to turn it so they fall off then. With mine the hole was at 6 o'clock and the cog wheel was at 7. As you face it.

Good luck mate. Just take your time.

And Put it back together so it's easier next time.

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Thanks for your help buddy.

I bet somepne posts an easier soliution 10 minutes after I get them off.

lol

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 22d

3dff3fcc.jpg

Thanks to Whoosha for the image

You can see the Cog in this pic, its small and can be hard to locate but it should be located at the 4 O'clock position on the passenger side and the 8 O'clock position on the drivers.

The Disc can be hard to remove as the handbrake shoes after a while wear a lip in the drum part of the disc, so gentle and not so gentle persuasion may be required