Fuel Efficiency With Mods

speaktobrett

• Member For: 15y 5m 8d

Hi guys,

I'm interested in doing a few mods to my BA MKII XR6, that won't negatively effect my fuel efficiency! :spoton:

So far I've done the Typhoon CAI. I noticed more low end power, which was great! I know extractors chew through more fuel... so I'm kinda steering away from getting those installed.

I've been told that custom tuning my car will give it more power and better fuel efficiency. Is this correct? Or just people talking sh*t?

Are there any other mods that can I do?

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by speaktobrett

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 3d

No it isnt BS.

Cant talk for the N/A XR6's but my turbo gets 9.3L/100km doing 100km/hr on the highway. Would assume they would be similar at this rev range though.

I found that technically you might get better fuel ecconomy but in reallity you wil get worse because you use the new found power more (I reckon mine imporved by 5% but really I get 10% worse because I use the power more).

But if you use it to convince yourself to do an upgrade go for it . hey - its how I got my motor bike - to save fuel "cough"

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 1m 22d

That's decent!

What about those under drive pully's that people talk about... are they any good? Do they consume more petrol?

We have 3 n/a BAs and mine is the only one with a PowerBond underdrive installed. The power increase is hardly noticeable although when it comes to economy, I am getting 30-40 more KMs out of a full tank. It doesn't seem like much at all, but does help in the long run.

What kind of estimated rwkw's would I get with these mods?

- K&N

- Typhoon lower snorkel

- 20% Under Driver Balancer

- Custom tune

I also remember looking into figures while keen on modding my n/a. I can't remember the website that gave estimates and I'm not sure whether it was at the rear wheels or engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 5m 7d

Ive done upper and lower snorkels, k&n panel and centre muffler out and get around 8/100 on the freeway. although I dont understand why though, I wouldve thought the more air you get into the engine the more fuel youd use to keep up the air fuel ratios. only mods I can understand bettering economy are better flowing exhausts and underdrives cos they reduce load on the engine, and tune cos stock tune runs unnecessarily rich. :roflmbo: