Fg Turbo Exhaust Rattle

michaelhardy

• Member For: 14y 10m 16d

yeah those rub marks are normal mate - they're already on the beam axles sitting in stillages fresh from futuris.

From the one car I've managed to investigate so far the root cause is not the handbrake cable (I wish it was that simple).

However, more info is generally a good thing, so still hunting. schmick I'll be in touch

I am by no means an engineer, but I have noticed the exhaust moves around a fair bit on these utes from new. What seems to be happening is that at a certain RPM, the viabration/resonance cause by the exhaust has an affect on the handbrake cables.

When the car is cold and has a slightly higher idle, there is no noise. Once its warmed up and idle is around 600rpm, it makes the noise. Seems to be the worst with the AC on.

It goes away if you pull the handbrake up.

Call Strapp Ford in Burwood and ask what they did to my car.

The problem is 100% gone

Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 5m 19d

Decided to put the ute up on the "hoist" at dad's place and have a look at the rattle over the weekend.

bush-hoist.jpg

From what we could tell, looks like there's just enough movement in the plastic grommet things that hold the 2 cables on the bracket for them to rattle when the handbrake isn't pulled. Pull the handbrake and it tightens against the bracket and noise goes away.

I've noticed the noise is mainly when it's warm, idling in D. Guess that once it's warm it idles a little lower, and when it's labouring in D a bit the exhaust is vibrating/resonating at the ideal frequency. As the 2 handbrake cables are clipped onto the centre muffler hanger back further, they shake too and the little plastic grommet things on the sleeve rattle in the bracket.

Tightened up the nut a turn on the main cable, just to take a tiny bit of the slack out of those other 2 cables to see how it went, and so far it seems the noise has disappeared (touch wood). Not sure if it's the full cause and solution, but so far looks good. In the pic you can see there's a little bit of a gap in that white sleeve/collar/spacer bit where it mounts on the bracket (especially on the bottom cable) and since it's hard plastic it doesn't absorb the vibration well.

cables1.jpg

• Brisbanes Resident Detailer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 1m 27d

I had mine at Ford to investigate some vibration. As far as I can tell I dont have a rattle from the exhaust but I do have a fairly rough vibration with the air con on at idle. Turn the AC off or give it an extra 100rpm with the throttle and its all smooth sailing.

Apparently they have an issue raised with the exhaust vibration and put it down to that. Fords fix according to their mechanics hotline is to "Rework" a bracket. IN other words bash the sh*t outer it and she'll be right. Problem is that your pipes end up off centre and look stupid so dont let them "rework" any brackets.

I got under mine and bent it all back again.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 5m 20d

Hello bunna,

I just joined this forum today specifically to investigate a resolution to this problem. Mine is a June 2009 FG XR6 Turbo with 15000kms. I think the problem developed was always inherent although got worse and then stabilised at very bad at around 3000kms. I saw the ford logo against your name and thought you may be able to help. I am willing to donate my car to science if you still wish. You offered in one of your posts to send someone out to look at the problem which would be great. I work in Surrey Hills Victoria at an office so they can have the car for a whole day if pre-arranged. This problem with the extremely unnerving exhaust rattle/vibration at idle is infuriating and chips away at ones enjoyment of the car and can do massive damage to a cars reputation. If for example I have had a stressful day at work I start to think about selling the car and getting back into another Expensive Daewoo SV6 which I sold to get this car, it can be this irritating. Other than this the car is great. I have asked for a fix under warranty twice at Bayford Coburg twice in the past, both times being told they know of this very common inherent floor with the car are waiting for a fix.

• Member For: 13y 5m 20d

yeah those rub marks are normal mate - they're already on the beam axles sitting in stillages fresh from futuris.

From the one car I've managed to investigate so far the root cause is not the handbrake cable (I wish it was that simple).

However, more info is generally a good thing, so still hunting. schmick I'll be in touch

Hello bunna,

I am still learning how this posting system works and am hoping that this message will be forwarded to your email so that you can check my main posting regarding the FG exhaust rattle on Fordxr6turbo.com. I assume you work at ford and was hoping you could assist me.

Thanks and regards, Dave

• 1 year later...