Is Xr6T The Right Car For Me?

inowereulive

• Member For: 15y 9m 28d

a 40year old that's never drivin a performance car in his life will be able to handle a performance car the same as a 19 year old, when it comes to hooning if you know what I mean..

but does that 40 year old ever get criticised for having a high powered car? I think not.

no one on this forum can say that they jumped straight into their new xr6t and knew how it was going to behave straight away, people have to get used to a car.

and age doesnt always bring maturity, I get dangerously overtaken and tailgated by 30 - 40 year olds every f*ckin day on the way home from work.

fast cars should be banned from stupid people, not young people

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 30d

Wrong. A 40 year old jumping into a T for the first time ought to be better equiped than a 19 year old, or you would hope so.

I agree there are wankers out there from all age groups. But an inexperienced driver in any car V , lets say an experienced driver from the performance scene

you can't compare them. Yet they still have stacks with years of experience , you can't turn around and say someone with 20 years less experienvce can handle it better.

The rub is this, these cars when modified are very powerful and not always predicatable. To your point ,get used to the car slowly. No point going from

a 100 rwkw on your P's to 300+ atw and think you are just going to handle it. That's BS

The thing with these cars is familiarity , practice ( off public roads) and a very healthy degree of respect

• Hey guys, Tab is here... Oh i feel sick
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 26d

anyone car drive a fast car, its just whether you have control of your right foot, you only go as fast as your foot lets you

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 3d

Nearly all 19 year olds, hoons included, will say they consider themselves safe drivers, experienced and able to handle high powered cars. Until that is measured and proven, stats and science are against you.

Jarrad - I hope you have enough money stored away for when you have an accident, your insurance company will slam the door in your face. Its illegal for you to drive that car on your Ps. If you happen to kill someone, you will be facing time in jail.

I accept the stats are against me and I also accept that an older driver has far more experience and knowledge when it comes to driving a high powered car. I was simply offering my point of view for the chap who was considering buying a XR6 turbo.

And no, there will be no door slammed in my face. Nor will I be going to jail. I got my license before the P rules came in, therefore, they do not have an affect on me. Thanks for the heads up though blush.gif

Edited by Jarrad

• Donating Members

I think the same of every single member on this forum.

Sraight lines are completely different to twisty roads.

Burnouts are completely different to "handling your car sideways at speed."

Nearly all people 30years old+ will say they consider themselves a safe driver.

From what I see every single day on Australian roads, this is completely untrue.

Yeh.. handle your car in a straight line off from the lights.

That's not what makes a safe driver.

People seriously don't realise that the way THEY drive, and because they can handle a car the way THEY drive, doesn't make them a safe driver. As soon as something 'unexpected happens,' that sudden rush of adrenaline flows through your body, you are faced with a situation you haven't been before, and it's only through experience will you know what to do.

Most people I've spoken to have barely experieced a thing in their xr6t's, apart from 'forcing' the car sideways due to its power, burnouts, or draging in a straight line.

Good luck to you all who think you're experienced because you own a powerful car and have been driving on Australian roads for years. fool.gif

Mate, I was simply saying I am able to practice self control when I am behind the wheel of my car. Not saying I can control my car in all circumstances. I accept that I am not an experienced driver nor would I be able to bring everything back if it were to go pear shaped.

• Donating Members

If a 19 year old says he is a good driver with all of 2 years under his belt, he is simply a fool. There are exceptions with some young guys (lewis Hamiltons) who have been driving for many many years.

Not once did I say I was a good driver. I said I was a safe driver who practises self control behind the wheel.

• Member For: 15y 7m 28d

Wrong. A 40 year old jumping into a T for the first time ought to be better equiped than a 19 year old, or you would hope so.

I agree there are wankers out there from all age groups. But an inexperienced driver in any car V , lets say an experienced driver from the performance scene

you can't compare them. Yet they still have stacks with years of experience , you can't turn around and say someone with 20 years less experienvce can handle it better.

The rub is this, these cars when modified are very powerful and not always predicatable. To your point ,get used to the car slowly. No point going from

a 100 rwkw on your P's to 300+ atw and think you are just going to handle it. That's BS

The thing with these cars is familiarity , practice ( off public roads) and a very healthy degree of respect

I disagree at least in part. I'm not saying that someone with more time on the road (assuming it hasnt been 30 years of the same bad habits) doesn't have more road sense which should result in them being a safer driver. But if the driver has never had a high powered car before the difference in 5 or 30 years of driving a corolla will not make you any better prepared. That side of it comes down to commonsense and willingness to learn. If you put my old man in my T I doubt he'd handle an emergency situation that differently to what I would (I'm 24) and he certainly isn't used to the pace of it.

• Member For: 16y 7m 5d

I'd beg to differ to the person who said these car's become predictable to drive. I can't speak for the ZF, but stepping into a stock 4spd the car in my opinion was entirely predictable and safe in that the car wouldn't become a handfull in a straight line. It was a different story after an edit, with a touch under 270rwkw things got hairy. Dependant on road grip, the car would twitch and violently "tank slap" at the top of 1st gear, totally unpredictable as it came onto boost. I recall one time it's ass slapped so hard I was thrown against the drivers door and with windows down was almost thrown out. :dontknow: Another time crossing an intersection I had "changed lanes" -taps nose- without indicating before even crossing the intersection.

Food for thought when you're young, inexperienced and wanting to line someone up at a set of lights as it can all end wrong very quickly.

• Member For: 14y 7m 11d

HAHAHA Here we go..

You said it yourself . ."OUGHT TO BE" better equiped. It's a FACT that this is not the case. Infact I would assume that at least 50% of the population wouldn't have stepped into a performance car their whole lives.. let alone know how to handle one because they're 40years old.

MOST people in this country use cars for transport and that's it. You should know this.

And AGAIN; YOU can't say that someone with 20years more 'experience of car transport' can get into a 300rwkw car and be able to handle it better than a 25yo who's been rallying and circuit racing his whole life.

EXACTLY. From any driver, regardless of age or experience. Just like any car.

Mate, I was simply saying I am able to practice self control when I am behind the wheel of my car. Not saying I can control my car in all circumstances. I accept that I am not an experienced driver nor would I be able to bring everything back if it were to go pear shaped.

I wasn't only refering to you there. I was refering to alot of 'older' members on this forum who sit up on their high horse who hold the same generalisation that THEY are more experienced than ANY younger driver with a high powered car.

After going on a hills run with people off this forum on my Ls in my old mans 300rwkw xr6t, it's a clear statement that not every person with a highperformance car over 30 years old can handle a car around a corner, let alone have the 'experience' to be a safer driver than a person 14 years younger.

You think burnouts make you an experienced driver? Get real.

You think driving around giving your car a 'squirt' for 20 years makes you experienced? Get real.

I'm sure alot of 20yo kids who have been driving performance cars on the strip and circuit for the most part of their life, would have more 'experience' and be 'better equiped' to handle a high performance car than MOST 30-40year olds who drag people off at the lights.

I'd beg to differ to the person who said these car's become predictable to drive. I can't speak for the ZF, but stepping into a stock 4spd the car in my opinion was entirely predictable and safe in that the car wouldn't become a handfull in a straight line. It was a different story after an edit, with a touch under 270rwkw things got hairy. Dependant on road grip, the car would twitch and violently "tank slap" at the top of 1st gear, totally unpredictable as it came onto boost. I recall one time it's ass slapped so hard I was thrown against the drivers door and with windows down was almost thrown out. :roflmbo: Another time crossing an intersection I had "changed lanes" -taps nose- without indicating before even crossing the intersection.

Food for thought when you're young, inexperienced and wanting to line someone up at a set of lights as it can all end wrong very quickly.

Keep the foot down next time and power out of it instead.. :w00t2: (Just kidding mate.. we all know what it's like :P)

Edited by Shark

• 09JET
  • Member For: 14y 9m 30d

Seems among young blokes a "good driver" simply means obeying the law, and to some it means being able to drift, or follow racing lines on a road. To me, a good driver is a DEFENSIVE driver. The one who leaves the extra second or two in the wet, uses the sacrificing method of cornering and moving the apex further around the corner to maximise vision through the corner not maximise exit speed, moves over to the left before a crest cause you can't see what's coming etc. Things a LOT of young blokes would never even think about.