Speaker Crackling?

dan(nthqld)

• Member For: 15y 1m 14d

well I dont think they are either overpowered or underpowered.

Amp rating is 110wrms and the speakers are 100wrms, so I dont think this is the problem.

The speakers have been tuned in and are never turned up excessively loud. The level adjustment on the amp is set to about 2/3'rds of the way. Should this be set to full power and the volume turned down so it has full power from the amp, or leave it where it is

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 12d

Mate - tone controlls... from the HU?

Bass level, do u play with this and/or have u adjusted this at any point?

What underpowering a speak means - is not running a 100w driver with a 110w amp as such.. there is a lot more to it then that..

but to keep it simple - imagine trying to run the speaker with the bass all the way flat out with loudness setting on also...

the driver will try to reproduce the sound as you have asked it to... as the line is being feed with the extra bass/frequency... however it is no longer flat and therefore the amp is only sending so much power to the driver as per what you have set in the pre amp (tone control)...

It then says to the driver... do more bass work, with no more power from the amp...

then... BANG! its out of puff... it over heats due to lack of air movement and in turn burns out the VC...

Is it as basic as I can explain it...

Hope this helps!

Generally a 'good' quality speaker doesnt just burn out a voice coil by its self... 99% of the times its user or installer error... again - tone levels, or system miss match...

:bowdown:

Dam read this - I think I wrote something about over driving and under powering drivers in here...

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54109

:msm:

Edited by smicky

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Gain on the amps is adjusted to suit input voltage for clipping not volume.

If the voice coil isn't burnt out you may have excurted the cone to much and torn the wire underneath the cone from the terminals to the coil. I did this years ago with my old Alpine bass 10in subs where they would pop and fart one minute and not work the next. It was sort of like a cold solder joint intermitently working as the cone would move and pull the wire.

I just cut the wires and soldered extensions on to them to fix the problem.

There still going in a friends car to this day!

Its worth a look...

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members

dam - what sort of amp are u running?

brand and model...?

just out of interest....

:beerchug:

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members

Used to use Fusion sometimes in installs, not a bad product - dont know what the new gear is like - havent played with it for a while...

maybe look for a nice set of Pioneer, or Clarion pro series to replace it with, or maybe if u can stretch the $$$ check out some Focal's even the entry level stuff is good gear!

:stirthepot:

get an installer to check out the install just in case... and specs on the amp v's the speakers...