Difference Bettween Ba And Bf Blocks.

neo

• Member For: 16y 1m 14d

A Few months ago I had an engine rebuild after and accident. they used my stock head and I put atomic springs on when it was off :D. I have an 03 BA and I was hoping to get a BF 6/06 block because its stronger. I was told insurance would not get me that block by the mechanic and that id get a BA block.

I was not shore so I got the part number of mechanic and called ford care. I got onto Ford parts and gave the part number and asked about the block. I was told its a BA Block the same block that's on my BA and has the same internals as my 03 Ba has.

well after waiting for a lifetime for insurance Mechanic to fix my car I got it back. this weekend I was at my mates helping him do a service on his Ba 05 T. I decided to also do a Service so went out got oil and Z9 filter for BA just like my friends T. took my filter off and find out the Oil Filter is Z516 and Z9 wont fit. so went and back to shop looked in the book and Z516 is for BF and FG Z9 is for BA. Z516 is smaller then Z9 and cost $15 more? I dont know how they figure that out.

So Do I have a BF block? and how can I tell if the block is past 6/06

I was told that the BA and BF blocks are 100% the same from ford parts up until 6/06 then the block got stronger rods from F6 put in?

the BA and BF blocks cant be 100% the same if a different filter fits it must be different if its different what has changed?

Any info would be great on this Cheers

Edited by neo

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y

I'd say you've got the BF block, I doubt Ford would continue manufacturing BA blocks.

As a side note the cheapest place to buy the new filter is usually your Ford dealer, AFL101 or something is their part number.

• Member For: 20y 11m 30d

The blocks are the same, its the parts that go in them that's different.

And all BA short blocks in stock are now BF versions, as soon as the upgraded BF internals were fitted all short blocks sent out to the dealers came straight off the line as BF's. They did not fit old BA stock to make short blocks, they just used what they had at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 9d

so is there a way of finding out what a bottom end is from an engine number?

Edited by fordriver1