Trans Cooler Install

Maximus

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 4m 2d

When I rang PWR I asked what the difference was between the standard and the ford specific and he told me the plugs to seal the factory cooler when you bypass it. personally I don't mind having it plugged, if I'm ever traveling and one of the hoses splits or something wedges itself into the cooler I will feel better knowing that I can switch back over and know there isn't heaps of crap that's found it's way in there while not using it,ultimately ending up in my tranny.

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 10m 6d

I just recently completed this modification on my 04 Turbo and I will share my experiences and some photos I took on the DSLR.

The disassembly was easy and made easier by the instructions that Maximus gave! I did have some dramas getting the intercooler out though.. in the end I removed the LH side mounting bracket from the car and slowly removed it upwards (taking care not to contact the front support and the radiator)

Once out I fitted the hoses to the pipes and mounted the cooler in a very similar position to Maximus.

This showing the position of the hoses with the blanking plugs placed into the radiator..

Pipes.jpg

Shows how the rear of the radiator looks with the plastic mounting tangs:

PLEASE NOTE:::: to get the clearance for the intercooler you will need to press the trans cooler into the condenser reasonably firmly.. (I did find upon initial mounting of the Tcooler that the Icooler would not fit and was badly fowling!!).. ALSO PLEASE NOTE... Make sure you have the Tcooler in correct position before fitting the plastic mounting tangs as they are VERY difficult to remove and you may cause damage to your radiator fins!!!

Radiator.jpg

once running the hoses I found I couldn't run the top hose through the headlight opening as this seemed the obvious solution.. so I had to re-route it through the same opening as the battery air intake.. also then found that the hose was hard up against the sharp edge of the radiator support.. (as pictured) so I added a cut piece of left over hose to shield the contacting parts.. just cut some to length (roughly) and cut it length wise to fit it over the top hose.. the tape is to simply hold it in place.. (should have used cable ties but I didnt have any on hand)

HoseLocation.jpg

Shield.jpg

after pushing the Tcooler harder into the condenser I fitted the Icooler back into place.. and once loosely fitted I found that it would fit BUT only just!!

Clearance.jpg

with the top hose actually sitting hard up against the left hand top of the Tcooler::

which I was not too worried about!!

TopHose.jpg

(also please note: the bottom hose clamp on the Tcooler will need to be located so it sits flush or behind the overall thickness of the Tcooler otherwise IT WILL FOWL the Icooler when fitted. - I found this and actually damaged some of the lower fins on the Icooler)

Lastly:

just a pic showing the location of the cooler with the bumper almost back on:

you can clearly see the top half of the cooler. with the bottom edge of the cooler sitting level with the Icooler.

Almostdone.jpg

just a few points that I found:

1. when I fitted the barbed fittings to the existing pipes and test fired the car checking for leaks. I found the top pipe to be leaking badly. after attempting to tighten it more I found I couldn't get the tension due to someone having placed thread tape on the old fittings... (make sure the treads of the pipes ARE CLEAN! these threads DO NOT SEAL its the tapered flush fitting flanges inside that create the seal!!!

2. You will need to attempt to retain the pipes and stop them from fowling the engine belts or pullies.. I simply used the one cable tie that I had to hold the top pipe in place... BUT I still need to repair this further.

Thanks

Adric

• Member For: 13y 10m 6d

hope that helps people some more? I noticed Maximus didn't have the chance to take more pics.... so I did to help out more :w00t2:

(I had the same kit as Maximus)

• Member For: 17y 1m 8d

Great addition to this thread with very helpful pictures. Thanks heaps for adding them.

Remember if you are going to tackle this installation and are not 100% sure just ask ok.

Cheers

James

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 1m 8d

With the bigger intercoolers you can lean the forward at the top to get even more clearance.

I have seen a Nizpro BIG BIG Intercooler and the PWR Transcooler fitted with no cutting to the reinf bar at all.

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 10d

I just want to be clear on this. 1. You can fit a PWR cooler between the intercooler and the radiator? And Mixumus I have the Nizpro big BIG cooler, so this can be done?

2. Wont that affect air flow to the radiator?

2. What about heat soak from the coller to the intercooler???

I thought the best place was in front of one of the wheels???