Trans Cooler Install

Maximus

• Member For: 17y 17d

Hey Guys, I thought I would start a new thread for all you budding home mechanicas out there who like to tinker themselves rather than paying for the pros to do it.

I will be towing a caravan and boat soon, so I wanted the peace of mind of not worrying about whether the radiator will piss water into the transmission lines that run through the radiator, which is a flaw in the design of these cars in my mind.

Seeing as I still have the standard Intercooler on my car I was told that the PWR Heavy Duty Cooler ($129 from PWR) will JUST fit but will need custom brackets to be made up. This Transcooler is the biggest one they make and is for high performace/race/heaving towing applications.In the end I didn't make brackets and used the fitting that come with the kit.

If installing on the BA/BF make sure you get the 3/8 barb fittings. They come in the kit but just make sure.

Here is a pic of the box.

2148981910101589011S500x500Q85.jpg

A pic of what is in it.

2329858270101589011S500x500Q85.jpg

Pic of the cooler itself. Its 280 x 255 x 19mm thick.

2309648120101589011S500x500Q85.jpg

So, the best thing to do is get yourself a set of car ramps so you have more room and you can sit infront, rather than lie under the car.

Here is a pic BEFORE I started.

2529827130101589011S500x500Q85.jpg

You need to undo or remove the stone tray under the front bumper, the front bumper (dont forget the 4 screws each side holding the bumper to the front wheel well splash guards) and the grille. Once these items are removed the car should look something like this.

2426418470101589011S500x500Q85.jpg

Dont worry, it will go back together again hopefully.

From here you need to remove the drivers side headlight, the top intercooler hose, the bottom intercooler hose and the intercooler itself. I had to also remove my airhorns as they were going to get in the way too.

Another thing to remove to make it easier is the Thermo fans. It only takes 2 screws at the top and it just pulls out. Dont forget to unplug the harness for it.

Now you need to undo the fitting that run into the radiator.

This is one of the reasons why I am doing it. SO I can bypass the radiator.

Undo the top transcooler line first. This should cause the transfluid to drain back into your tranny so that when you undo the bottom fitting you wont lose too much oil. Have a drip tray, bucket or something similar under your car to collect the dripping fluid if it does come out.

2038733540101589011S500x500Q85.jpg

Now you need to bend the existing trans cooler lines.

Lightly bend the existing Transcooler lines to clear the edge of the radiator so you can fit the rubber hoses that will go to and from the transcooler. Dont bend them too far otherwise they will clash with the fan belt.

Once they are bent out of the way connect the barb fitting to each existing trans cooler line.

Heat up the rubber hose, it makes it more pliable, and slip it over to top barb. Clamp it securely.

Dont forget to clamp the hose on the correct side of the barb fitting so it doesn't pop off when under pressure.

Full Monty had this happen at over 160kph on the race track after his father in law put the clamp on the wrong side of the barb, and was lucky there was a grass run off area and not a wall.

Run the new rubber line around the radiator and roughly to where you want it and cut it to length.

Now do this again for the bottom hose. Ensure you dont have any sharp bends or kinks in it.

2965050100101589011S500x500Q85.jpg

Trial fit the transcooler in a few different locations to see what would get the best airflow.

Remember to locate it where the new rubber hoses will reach it otherwise you will need to buy some new hoses.

I found mine was best with the top just sticking above the intercooler rather than hanging down below it.

Now fit the foam pad to the back of the transcooler that fit against the radiator/condensor at the fitting locations (4 places). Hold the transcooler in position and force the long barbed push through fittings through the foam pads and the radiator. Repeat for 3 other fixing points.

Now reach down between the radiator and engine and fit the locking washers to the push through barbs and cut the excess off

Pic of Trans Cooler fitted with the special barbs that go through the radiator.

2107257670101589011S500x500Q85.jpg

2598736880101589011S500x500Q85.jpg

Once this is done refit the intercooler, intercooler hoses and thermo fan and take it for a spin round the block. Once back check and retighten all the fittings to make sure there are no leaks.

I had trouble refitting the intercooler as it was VERY TIGHT but it fits.

Now you just need to put it all back together.

You MAY NEED to TOP UP your transmisson fluid.

If you are going to top it up use CASTROL TQ-95. This oil is specifically designed for the BTR Auto.

DO NOT USE CASTROL DEXTRON III.

My car had just had the auto serviced at nizpro and after fitting the cooler it shifts fine and engages reverse so I didn't top up the fluid.

I would have taken more pics but I was filthy and the missus didn't want to take pics for me.

Hope I have helped and given someone the incentive to try this themselves.

All up it took about 4-5 hours I think and that was with a few cuppa breaks :D

If anyone has any comments/questions or want help to fit it themselves just ask me.

Cheers

James

• Member For: 16y 7m 12d

Nice write up mate! :beerchug:

A tip for hoses, if you can fit them put 2 hose clamps on. We do this a lot on boats as leaking water is bad. :nono:

And use good quality clamps not the cheap crap. Stainless is good and wont cost too much for small diameter hose. A few dollars could save an unintended drive into the wall or grass.

A question how do you reckon it would be to fit with a bigger intercooler? or just easier to relocate the cooler?

• Like 1

• Member For: 17y 17d

Xtrmn8, I bought it directly through PWR. I dealt with a guy named Drew.

They have a special BA Kit that has all these brackets and stuff but I got this one to fit no problems.

Been on for 6 months now without a problem.

Even did a hard drive up to BAW BAW and it didn't go into limp mode.

Full Monty has his fitted behind the fog light and his did but his car is modified but he followed me the whole way up.

Dillz, Car will stay stock mate so no problems with a bigger intercooler fitting.

Roscoe, I would say it would fit behind a FPV cooler as I have seen it fitted behind a huge Nizpro cooler which is way bigger than the FPV one.

You just need to mount the Transcooler up high behind the 2 black pipes you can see in the last 2 pics.

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 6d

Maximus, thanks for the info very helpful. Yea the generic kit is much better because the BA specific kit comes with brackets to mount the cooler in the drivers side behind the fog light and is no good for under batter intakes.

We need more threads like this on here :spit:

• 3 months later...