Another N/a To Turbo Conversion

bentles

• Member For: 15y 6m

Sounds good mate I'm looking into spooling mine, as I dont want to upgrade the axles and tail shaft but I want to run it at the drags... If I have to I'll be putting a m86 3.45 lsd in, but I wanna see what times I can run with my diff and stuff first.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 14y 5m 13d

Hey dude, great write up. Im plaining on doing the same thing.

Did you have to change the head gasket to lower the compression? Or was it simply bolt all the goodies on? Also, you said that you used the turbo sump? Why was that?

although the Na sumps have the hole ready marked and stuff the surface on the turbo sumps is also machined flat and I got it cheap enough....

I didnt touch my motor other than water lines and sump and gutting the butterfly's from the manifold etc...

still no problems with it however I sold the car a month ago... I work with the guy who bought it and still no problems... hes just serviced the auto as the fluid was a touch dark and the cooler rubbed through the ac condenser as the bolts for its brackets came loose... but a new ac condensor through ford trade is like $200 so all good....

yeah mate used na injectors they are the same as turbo ones, just different pressure fuel reg for the extra fuel needed.. and I used my old n/a fuel pump.

was a pretty easy conversion for me, as im a ford technician lol, took from friday to monday on easter weekend with help from 1-2 mates for some things like guiding motor out taking off bonnet stripping 1 manifold while I do the other etc etc...

if you are mechanical minded shouldnt have a single problem...

• Member For: 14y 5m 13d

ok, well I think I have lined up a complete turbo engine, but a piston or rod has let go. So, if I go through with it, ill just take everything I need of it and bolt it up to mine.

Is there anything to do with the wiring loom that needs to be changed. A few people have told me there is? Im guessing that ill need the xr6t computer... what else to do with wiring would I need to do?

had to make my own loom for boost pressure sensor and wastegate control solenoid, and a adaptor for the map sensors (different plugs on na and turbo)

workshop manual has the wiring diagrams you need to copy to get it working... I cant remember off the top of my head what you have to do but its pretty basic...

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 6m 13d

had to make my own loom for boost pressure sensor and wastegate control solenoid, and a adaptor for the map sensors (different plugs on na and turbo)

workshop manual has the wiring diagrams you need to copy to get it working... I cant remember off the top of my head what you have to do but its pretty basic...

mate, if you have a ba xr6 n/a, the loom should have all the plugs you require bar the extra loom required off the ecu.

if not, just get a whole loom. second hand you can pick one up for 175. that's what I did.. piece of mind for electrical purposes. if the wrecker doesnt know much, ask for a ba xr6 na loom. probably cheaper..

Edited by boost_lover

yeah, I just did it much cheaper, chopped the plug for wastegate solenoid and the 2 plugs for boost pressure sensor off my mates na xr6 and just made a few more wires myself (no more than 10 things to solder in total) with the workshop manual wiring diagram its pretty easy to wire up... only a need accesory feed and another wire or 2 going to the ecu b plug, and the rest is emulate a turbo one into plug c...

• 1 month later...