Mild Driveline Shudder Down Low. Auto Ba Xr6t

gramps_BA

• Member For: 15y 5m

Hi guys,

Just picked up my 2003 BA XR6T with stock 4 SPD and have noticed a slight vibration/ shudder through the driveline at low speeds RPM. I get it both in drive or 1-2 sequential shift and can replicate it standing point, slow 1/4 - 2/4 throttle press up to about 20-30km's.

Doesn't shudder the whole way through but you can hold it there for a little bit unless you power out through the revs a bit more.

I know this sounds like a "I have a clunking noise, please diagnose" but coming from a Subaru background (I have since learnt the errors in my ways) and I am not really sure which things to point at like tailshaft, diff etc..

So I am wondering before I take it into the shop is there something common on these setups that can go or needs adjusting/ balancing after some time? Car has 74,xxx on the clock. Cheers guys.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 1d

Mine has the exact same problem but its a manual BF2. I know my diff bushes are showing some cracking, but after Mal Wood check the tailshaft over Im assuming its tyres or diff bushes... what tyres do you have?

also, do you have axle tramp issues? As yours is a ba and mine a bf2, the diff bushes are different, so it could still be the tail shaft. Mine was mis-aligned causing some gearbox vibration issues, which mal wood automotive sorted and improved it alot. The vibration from the rear improved to some degree, but is still there slightly which made me think its the tyres. will be rotating them soon so will see what happens there.

yeah actually there is a little vibration from the tyres, bit of noise but I mean nothing major, wouldn't think it would cause the feel that it does. Not sure of brand though lol, only had the car a few days but I'll check. Also how would I know signs of axle tramp issues?

I'm hoping to roll her into a workshop tonight so hopefully can clear this up.

you would notice axle tramp when you spin the rear wheels on a hard launch especially in the wet, one or both would hop up and down on the road causing a VERY noticable thump-thump-thump noise through the cabin. you cant miss it, and it sounds like you're tearing your diff off. Let me know what you find, I will be rotating my tires shortly, so will see what results that brings.

thanks for your help mate, no it hasn't done that on the one launch I have done but........

I transported my car from NSW using a major moving company and yesterday took her down to my mechanic. Up on the hoist, MY GOD. Transmission mount snapped in half, trans hanging nearly in mid air. Scrapes and dent underneath with marks of yellow paint.

So now I am in the process of making a claim against the company as I have a 10 page report from before the car left the original buyer stating everything a-ok and then it gets delivered to me in that state! Just thought I would update the thread with the outcome and hopefully have her back on the road again soon.

Cheers again.

whoa, wasnt expecting that....

although mine was up on the hoist this week and at Mal Woods for a new clutch etc and there was nothing wrong with mine. However, it might be a slighty bent tailshaft? I would have thought you would feel alot more than a slight vibration with half your gearbox hanging off..

let me know how it goes anyhow.

Cheers

yeah I know what you mean. When we saw it the jaws where on the floor, but seriously I was thinking diff/ tailshaft or similar. Besides the point now as arguing on the phone for 30 minutes with the company CEVA (old TNT Logistics) they are trying to palm it off as either; "owner did it two days in between inspection and pickup" or "you did it after taking ownership, on a speed hump"

I dont know where these high pointy speedhumps are but everyone please be carefull of them as they will snap your trans mount cruising in a standard rideheight BA Falcon. Also because the inspection company did not include underbody appraisal and photos (they just said car is immaculate) they are saying the owner was likely to have done the damage.

Insert yourself arguing back and forth with two different companies who deal with this daily, I was never going to get anywhere with this. I'll post the pics so you can see the wrath of speedhumps in NSW... or SA..... who knows.

• NOT THERE!... THERE!
  • Member For: 15y 11m 5d

Wow...

That's really terrible mate. I hope they roll over and pay for you. Just keep on it, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You could try to get a look at one of their trucks and check for the same yellow paint.

Then sneakily take a sample and rush it back to the lab and get the nerdy guy to do a match!

Seriously though, good luck.