My First Drive - G6et

turbotom

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 13d

I took a G6ET for a trial today.....

Yes.. it does go quite well.... and yes, the 6 sp auto is very impressive.

The low gearing in 1st certainly gets the car moving quickly off the line.

In fact, it quite startled me with its throttle response.

My ute has more power, but with the 2800 stally it is quite lazy at part throttle takeoffs.

Not this G6ET.

whoosh. That little turbo spins up pretty quickly too, and it's like being shot out of a canon the way it launches!

Yes, it is an exciting drive.... but I need to get some feedback from some other owners.

The car I test drove had 16000 km on it. It's obviously the dealer test car that every tom, dick and aspiring niki lauda gets in.

Question. Do all the new FG turbos whistle under boost? I mean, this thing sounded as though the bearings were screaming.

My ute is 6 years old, and runs a peak of 16psi, and it certainly doesn't make the noises that this car's turbo made today.

I also wasn't expecting the exhaust note I heard from this "luxury" car.

It was certainly a very nice performance growl when under full throttle.... so good that I began thinking maybe the dealer has tweaked this demo unit to make it run better....

Like I said, this thing does go well, especially off the line, but doesn't have the top end pull like the ute.

I guess a custom retune with the edit box would fix that.

I can't say I was too worried about the lack of an LSD. The drive through the twisties of the Adelaide Hills didn't give me any concerns, and I'd have to say, for a big car with softish suspension, it certainly hangs on quite well....

More than enough for this old grey haired traveller anyway.

So I'm impressed with the car for its get up and go, and although it floats a little when pushed through the hills, it hangs on well enough that my sphincter isn't troubled. :blush:

It certainly looks very "posh" with the glossy piano black highlights, but overall, the car didn't really overwhelm me.

I drove for 2 hours and even though I tried many different seat settings, I found my right leg getting pins and needles.

Not a good sign for a car I want to use for interstate trips. :spoton:

I also noticed a fair amount of road noise from the tyres on one particular stretch of coarser grade bitumen..... It was OK on the freeway though, so it will be interesting to see if the other cars I'll test impart the same reaction.

At this stage, the G6ET is still a strong possibility..... but I will wait till I've driven the other contenders.

By the way... I saw a really nice colour in the dealership today.... It was a realy coarse metal-flake black on an XR5.

Call it Candy Black !!!

Unfortunately it is NOT available in the G6ET :bye:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Kickass
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m

1. The exhaust note is nice especially under power on the shifts a nice burble.

2. They run great especially off the line.

3. I've never noticed the lack of the LSD to this point and I have done 12000k's

4. The most comfortable car I've driven to date and that's with my bloody back problems.

5. I havn't noticed any tyre noise I'll keep an ear out tonight.

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members

What about turbo noise.....

Is it very audible under WOT?

I don't mean the induction noise... I mean the sound of the turbo impellers spinning....

This thing I drove was very noisy.

• Red F6310
  • Member For: 18y 7m 18d
  • Location: A small country town on the Murray River South Australia
What about turbo noise.....

Is it very audible under WOT?

I don't mean the induction noise... I mean the sound of the turbo impellers spinning....

This thing I drove was very noisy.

Mine makes alot of noise when putting ya boot into it.... I thought it was a turbo "whine" sound but have now worked out its from the gearbox....it does it very loudly from 2000-4000rpm, it actually gives me the sh*ts as it sounds like a small kid is jammed under the car when ya boot it and it goes "Weeeeeee" as you accelerate.

Im really hating my G6ET at the moment, shouldve bought a manual like I orginially wanted (ive always had manual cars)

Edited by Smackers XR6T

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d

Hate? Them is big words...based on your 'leg out of bed' experience or generally?

There is a massive increase in the amount of induction noises on the FG turbos. They sound like friggin animals when under load, plenty of whistling and hissing. But if you think it's whine or impeller noise that you're hearing Tom then that aint normal...well not for me just yet anyway :freak: 16k on a dealer demo I'd say it's had a fairly hard life.

Agree with Sly on all points. Being quite a big bastard myself (height and width) usually end up with a numb leg or two after a couple of hours. Brisbane to Sydney (1000 km) in this thing and stopping only twice was not an issue whatsoever, felt like a trip down to the corner store really. If it was in the ute it'd be a different story.

You should notice a massive difference in cabin noise coming from a ute, and wear out the OEM dumlops as soon as possible and whack something decent on and you won't hear too much tyre noise.

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members

Like I said, I was pretty impressed the way this car went as it is.

So who has one with a custom tune?

Is the smaller size turbo a limiting factor

Is 300 rwkw achievable in an auto G6ET ?

Has anyone cracked the code for the 6 speed auto yet?

And whilst speaking of the auto.... what is the limit of its torque handling.

I found the limit in my 4sp auto... the hard way.

Just wondering if the limit has been found for the 6sp.

• Member For: 19y 4m 3d
Like I said, I was pretty impressed the way this car went as it is.

So who has one with a custom tune?

Not me.

Is the smaller size turbo a limiting factor

Yes. General consensus for FG (excluding F6) is you are pushing it at 320rwkw

Is 300 rwkw achievable in an auto G6ET ?

Absolutely.

Has anyone cracked the code for the 6 speed auto yet?

AFAIK, no-one has an 'edit' available for the ZF 6 speed

And whilst speaking of the auto.... what is the limit of its torque handling.

A potentially thorny subject...Put it this way, there are quite a few guys that have cars > 350rwkw and whatever Nm go with that. Some have stock ZFs and the only thing they do is show them some TLC; regular trans fluid changes etc.

I found the limit in my 4sp auto... the hard way.

Oh good! A guinea pig ;-)

Seriously, for someone with your number of posts, I reckon you know what's what. Unless you been posting without reading ;-)

ws

Edited by wiresquire

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
Seriously, for someone with your number of posts, I reckon you know what's what.

Unless you been posting without reading ;-)

ws

hmmmmm... someone who questions my motives? :spoton:

Hi there ws.

Well seriously in reply, I know that I don't know enough.....

I was very active on the forum when I got my BA back in 2003.... up until I got everything sorted out in 2006.

Then I got busy with another little project which has taken a couple of years to get right.

I'm looking at getting a new car for the missus, and as I haven't kept up to date with all the goss and info on this site,

I figured this would be the best place to get good input from those who have the current FG turbo model.

by the way, you've been here for how long?

why don't you fill out your profile.....

with a name like wiresquire, all I picture is a young pimply-faced apprentice sparky! :nono:

Hey bloosted, I might just take you up on your offer... what you doing tomorrow?

Is yours the FG model? Does your XR6T have the same size turbo as the G6ET? or is it the same as the one in the BA/BF?

tom

• I love gooold member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 25d

My tyres are noisy as all get-out but that's cos they're cheap Traxxion POSs that the dealer put on them. They'll be going as soon as I can wear them out.

Bear in mind if you're driving an XR it is a different beast to the G6ET.