Hard Cover Lights

RUS531

• RUS531
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 5d

I don't know about you's but I am tired of searching around the back of my ute with a torch or the the light on my phone when it is dark.... So I did something about it.

The ford hard covers are made as two parts that are molded together, well the BF ones are anyway. So on the inside there is ridges and channels. These are hollow, so I decided to mount LED lights in them:D .

I found some flush mount white LED lights made by Hella. Being LEDs, as we all know they shouldn't require replacing in the near future, they have a very low current draw (.5watt > I=p/v > .5/12 = .042A), and these units are IP 67 rated, so theres no worrying about them getting moisture or dust inside them. I also used a switch I picked up from mitre11 (cough cough) that is very similar to that of the ARB compressor and airlocker switch. This was also IP 67 rated from memory.

28042009077.jpg

28042009076.jpg

28042009087.jpg

So it was off with the hard cover and on to a couple of saw stools with some soft material on them, and the cutting began :twisted:

I made a template marked out where I wanted them and cut out the holes with a dremel tool with a high speed cutting wheel. I then filed out the holes for the correct fit. I mounted the switch on the side of the channels so it didn't operate when I closed the cover if I had a full tray.

28042009084.jpg

28042009078.jpg

28042009081.jpg

29042009101.jpg

Now it came time to wiring them up. I used automotive 1.5mm twin (red+black+outer sheath), I could have went smaller as this is overkill for the current that is being drawn, but I had it handy and you can never go too big with cable :D I got a piece of fencing wire to feed from one of the holes I cut out to the other. Taped some cable onto it and pulled it back through. I soldered the loom together but where the light connections were I used spade connectors and taped them with electrical tape and scotch 23 tape (rubber tape) to prevent problems with vibration and moisture. All the lights were connected in parallel.

28042009090.jpg

Now for the supply cable. It exits the hard cover just to the outside of the drivers side hinge. Why? All the wiring originates from the drivers side because that's the side the batter is on so I saved cable and its less painful. So the cable... I put a miniature 12v plug on it and a socket in the tray of my ute.

29042009102.jpg

29042009100.jpg

As you can see there is a normal socket there too. Some 12v appliances come with either so now I'm covered.

The cable going from the sockets to the battery is the same except its 6mm. This is to combat voltage drop and so I can run larger appliances from the sockets IE 2 fridges. The cable is run through the chassis rail and up to a water resistant fuse holder that uses standard blade fuses. The other side of the fuse is terminated on the Positive battery terminal and the negative is terminated on a bolt that holds the vehicle's fuse/relay box down.

29042009096.jpg

29042009095.jpg

29042009098.jpg

So that's it, now the wait for tonight to see them in action in situ.

This is a mod that should come from factory in my opinion.

I may have forgotten something so feel free to ask any questions

Peace

Cameron

Edited by RUS531

• The Cleaning Dudes Ute
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 13d

looks sweet. :blink: Need some night shots though

One thing...wheres the disco ball?

• RUS531
  • Donating Members
looks sweet. :blush: Need some night shots though

One thing...wheres the disco ball?

I'm going to take some night shots tonight, if they turn out I'll post them.

Yep don't worry that's moved to No1 on my mods list now lol

nice job man I can see myself copying you now!

By all means do it mate, I'm surprised more people haven't done this yet.

I'm always having trouble finding stuff in the back, and on club cruises and the like we will sleep in the back of our utes too. So this mod for me was a long time coming.

I just went out side to test them out, there is still a bit of light around but the lights look like they are lighting up the space very well

Thanks for your comments guys

Cheers

Cameron

• RUS531
  • Donating Members

Just went and tested them out, I'm very happy with the result. The picture doesn't do it any justice but you get the idea.

DSC014022.jpg

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 7d

Great work there fella! Id do the same to mine only I have the flat tonneau. I sold my bulge tonneau caus I found it sheight for blind spots under 'responsive' driving.

Might see if I can mount some sort of light there, as like you, trying to find stuff in the back at night sux.

Top marks!

• RUS531
  • Donating Members

Umm...mitre11? :stupid:

You can get all the gear from an auto electrician or super cheap and autobarn will probably have some of the stuff too. The cutting tool I got from mitre10, and the lights are know as stairway lights I think. They are made by hella, but there are many alternatives you could use.

Any electrical supplier should have a decent set of crimpers. Make sure you use the right tool for the job and take your time, otherwise you could end up with loose connections and other heartaches. Keep in mind that there can be dust and moisture present in the back of utes.

hey mate where did you get all this gear from I am looking to do this as soon as I get my lid next week