Removing Cat Converters

Guest PhilH

Guest PhilH
  • Guests

I was talking to a client today who drives a Clubsport, it was recommended to him to have his Catalytic Converters removed to help exhaust flow. He said he received a noticable increase in power.

Is this relevant to the T ? Anyone had it done ? Thoughts ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloody Orange Team (BOT)
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 1d

No cat will help the power, but it is very much illegal and not to meantion very bad for your health if you breath in any of the fumes.

Guest PhilH
  • Guests
but it is very much illegal

Anyone know if this is illegal in New Zealand, I haven't heard any comments around this specifically, but I realise there are some laws around certain modifications ?

Any NZ lawers out there ?

• Member For: 20y 9m 12d

I remember from reading somewhere or from someone that the fine is up to $10,000. Could be wrong but. So I dont recommend trying to remove the cat. And if you do, and you got a cop driving behind you, dont floor it or otherwise all the cop will see will be a black cloud of smoke and he will go, "WTF?" :huh: "from a brand new car?"

• Bloody Orange Team (BOT)
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 1d

He doesn't have to worry about the police, cause with no cat, they'll most likely get a big dose of poisen from the extremely toxic fumes that may be the result of no cat ;)

If you want a power increase do some other mods, which will be cheaper for you in the long run (in terms of monies and your health). Having no cat is illegal everywhere. Even in New Zealand I am sure.

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 14d

Removing the cat converters is just plain DUMB!!!!!

HUGE fines, no exhaust shop would be dumb enough to do it because they also cop even bigger fines (over 50k).

There are betterw ways of improving the exhaust system including free flowing cats however the standard Ford system is pretty damn good.

• Member For: 20y 11m 9d

got caught by the EPA in my vl dunnydoor-no cat converter-running super fuel-fuel tank modified to accept super pump nozzle.

Had t o go to court and the magistrate said max. fine for each offence was $10.000,I nearly dropped,my knees went rubbery.

You can just put a high flow cat on,nearly as efficient,hell of a lot cheaper.

• Member For: 20y 8m 17d

As everyone has already said its highly illegal but increases power. You'll be suprised how many fast street cars there are without them (lots). Most street cars that I've seen with this mod usually punch out the cat so it still looks like its there. But the RTA will soon find out if they subject you to an imissions test. Another obvious sign is that cars without a cat will blow flames at times between gear shifts, easy to see at night.

• Member For: 20y 11m 1d
Another obvious sign is that cars without a cat will blow flames at times between gear shifts, easy to see at night.

yes yes they do........................(not that I have ever done that :blush3: ) Having said that not something I would ever recommend or do again. Also taking your cat out generally makes it sound like s*