Coil Packs Don't Last

straughsberry

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 5d

OK. So I'm on my 3rd set of coil packs in 6 months and it is getting ridiculous. The last set were genuine Ford units and lasted about 3 months and 6000 odd kays. I'm currently testing some cheaper Chinese units that I am considering bringing in if they go ok. That is, if they last as long as the genuine Ford units, they will be a bargain. The Ford units are about $280 retail and can be had for around $200? These will be around the $120 mark in quantity. See how they go. So far, they are performing as well as the factory units. Changing to these from the old ones, there is a noticable gain in response and power. Just the same as the last replacements.

So what alternatives are there? Is anyone using anything else for higher boost/power? As I'm just about to start a 500+ rwkw long motor, I dont want to go through the same problems, and worse.

Ebay has them regularly for sub $200 guys. Genuine units :spoton:

To stop them failing Straughsberry, try wrapping the heads in electrical tape. I did it on my BA on advice from a mechanic friend (who has original coil packs in his 190,000km 02 modded XR6T) and never had a problem after ~100,000kms. Apparently they short out on the rocker cover when they develop small cracks in the plastic cover from heat...

Tape costs <$5 so worth a try mate. Good luck :roflmbo:

• Member For: 16y 7m 13d
$280 is that for all six, as I was quoted $75 per today.

$ 63 from ford( trade price)

I'm not in the trade, but talked the parts man into selling them at that price cause I bought all six.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 19d
OK. So I'm on my 3rd set of coil packs in 6 months and it is getting ridiculous. The last set were genuine Ford units and lasted about 3 months and 6000 odd kays. I'm currently testing some cheaper Chinese units that I am considering bringing in if they go ok. That is, if they last as long as the genuine Ford units, they will be a bargain. The Ford units are about $280 retail and can be had for around $200? These will be around the $120 mark in quantity. See how they go. So far, they are performing as well as the factory units. Changing to these from the old ones, there is a noticable gain in response and power. Just the same as the last replacements.

So what alternatives are there? Is anyone using anything else for higher boost/power? As I'm just about to start a 500+ rwkw long motor, I dont want to go through the same problems, and worse.

Are you sure there is not a bigger problem somewhere else? or your getting the same batch no that may have been bodgy?

I had a coil in my old supercharged xr8 that was half full of water in the rocker hole for god knows how long and it still worked fine after being cleaned out!

• Member For: 16y 1m 26d

I bought a cheap nasty looking set of ebay for $120 dollars and they have been going fine so far. Does your car actually starting missing and farting when one goes or do you just notice less response and power????

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 5d
Ebay has them regularly for sub $200 guys. Genuine units :fool:

To stop them failing Straughsberry, try wrapping the heads in electrical tape. I did it on my BA on advice from a mechanic friend (who has original coil packs in his 190,000km 02 modded XR6T) and never had a problem after ~100,000kms. Apparently they short out on the rocker cover when they develop small cracks in the plastic cover from heat...

Tape costs <$5 so worth a try mate. Good luck :beerchug:

Certainly worth a shot for next to nothing in outlay.

I bought a cheap nasty looking set of ebay for $120 dollars and they have been going fine so far. Does your car actually starting missing and farting when one goes or do you just notice less response and power????

Yeah it will start to play up a little. At first, spark gets blown out on the odd occassion at WOT. Then a little breaking down on the odd occassion at WOT. These things then start to get more frequent. A change of coil packs, and these problems dissapear. I hasve 2 tunes. both thye same power up top but the daily ramps boost from around 14psi fuinishing at 16.8. The second comes on hard at 18psi and tapers to 16.8. Last Friday night I hwas experiencing this intermittent breaking down so I tried the stronger tune. It was chronic, missing and breaking down allk over the joint. New coils, no problems. Ebay got them for 120? I'd say they're about the same quality as the cheapy Chinese ones I'm currently trialling.

• KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE,
  • Member For: 17y 11m 19d

280 is a little cheap for geniune even if you know some one, I reackon your getting done there mate there probley fakeys. I had a coil pack problem and bought genuine ones havet had an issue since.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 3d

Sure its a common thing to have them fail, but that many failing on you doesnt sound right... As bjc said, there's posibly something in the chain, befor the coils that is making them fail... I wouldnt be suprised if there is a short in the wiring somewhere, along the cover.

Heat is bad for coils, like the old EA's with the coil mounted on the motor, they used to fail all the time, but mount it on the body and they last.

You could always get a bit creative and mount 6 coils on top and run short leads to the plugs.

My coils have done 97000 kays now and they have been fine... I ran without a coil cover for about 40000 kays too.

I'd suss out if there is something causing them to break down first mate.