Ba Diff Bush Instructional

bda12pleaseu

• Member For: 16y 3m 9d

please do not reply yet

after looking through the forum I found a heap of topics but not much info on doing the task so I thought id do it myself.

this took approx 6 hrs with me and a mate we are fairly mechanically minded however are not mechanics I would suggest you know how to swing a spanner and know how to use a drill if u dont this aint for u...

replaced my diff bush in the driveway and found wasn't as bad as we thought it would be, more time consuming than anything else.

This is merely a guide which u use at your own risk in know way will I be held responsible for damage or injury

you will need...

Nolathane bush kit

medium strength thread locker

18mm spanners

15mm spanners

socket set

shifter

drill

8mm drill bit or close to it

die grinder

70mm hole saw (pilot drill removed)see figure 10

barrel sander see figure 11

1.back car on ramps

2.chock front wheels

3.spray paint or texta on witness marks so the IRS assembly is reinstalled it same place (see figure 1)

4.locate and disconnect exhaust mount (see fig2)

5.locate and remove 2 bolts(1 either side) in lower portion of shock absorber (see fig 3)

6.locate and remove 1 bolt towards rear of diff housing just above the bush in question (see fig 4)

7.locate and remove 8 bolts (4per side) (see fig's 1,5,6)

8.firstly remove the brake lines out of there bracket on the hub assembly then care fully jack body up off IRS assy, take this section slowly as u dont want to bend studs or strip there threads, you can use 2 socket extension bars or suitable pry bars to pry away IRS assy from studs a bit. we made a timber stack and jacked of the tow bar (see fig A). if u dont have a tow bar you need something in the centre of the car or evenly jack at sides with 2 jacks remembering to use car stands before getting underneath car. make note that the breather hose will come off the diff housing and to reconnect on installation (see fig 7).we jacked car until studs were about 20mm clear of the holes this was enough to allow us to continue. (see fig 1 for holes to pry from)

9.remove bolt from bush

10.drill hole approx 8mm in the aluminium part of bush about 25mm in (see fig 8)

11.using existing hole in bush and newly drilled hole insert 2 suitably sized bolts and turn both at same time with a shifter(see fig 9 and 9.1) 2 full rotations this will break centre out of bush and then can be pulled from bush with vice grips or multi grips.

12.using flat blade screwdriver and hammer break out most of the big bits of rubber.

13.using a 70mm hole saw with pilot drill removed similar to the one in (figure 10) cut throught old bush carefully not to cut into diff housing.

14.using barrel sander (figure10) and drill or die grinder sand the rest of the bush out.

15.once inside bush housing is back to metal u can aply a quick coat of paint for rust protection and install bush using bolt

supplied with kit and pack with old centre to make up the thread, thread into diff housing. you may need to put a piece of wood between diff and bush housing to stop diff from moving while tightening bolt.

16.once bush is all the way home cut bolt to length and install bolt with washers supplied and medium strength thread locker.

17.reinstall IRS assy reverse steps 4 through 8 inclusive lining up witness marks and applying medium thread locker to all threads.

post-13867-1233393232_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393242_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393253_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393267_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393279_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393292_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393304_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393317_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393336_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393353_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393364_thumb.jpg

post-13867-1233393377_thumb.jpg

Edited by bda12pleaseu

• Member For: 16y 6m 11d

:beerchug::msm::bowdown::bowdown::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm gonna put the car on ramps and have a look around to see if I feel confident enough to do this myself. if yes then you coulda just saved me a bit of money!!!!

thanks for the great write up...

• Like 1

• Member For: 16y 3m 9d

glad to help,

really guys if u know your way around a car a bit and have tools and know how to use them + a mate to help really is 2 person job it aint that bad..

Edited by bda12pleaseu

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 20d
so mate howd u go?

Have not got around to doing it yet! I need to get some ramps, a spare pair of hands and a 70mm hole saw....only have a 65mm or 80mm at home, will either of those suffice as I haven't measured myself? Drilling a 100mm in the boot well seems very tempting also!!