Budget Car Racing In Vic ?

slo_au2

• Member For: 15y 11m 30d

Hey Guys ,

Just thinking about the Global Credit crisis and how expensive most fun things are to do at the moment.

So , some mates I have in Tassie , Told me about www.1kracing.com .. Heres a Quick Rundown of it .

The 1kracing series is a designed to be a low cost competition to test a combination of driving, car tuning, modification and bargain hunting ability. Competitors are encouraged to field a team with one or more people, to test their all-round car abilities against others. The competition itself will be a series of events at a private, sealed venue. Vehicles do not have to be road registered and a current driver's license is not required to partake in the competition.

Participants are to field a car that has cost no more than $1000 on the day. This cost includes:

1. The original purchase price of the car,

2. Cost of any repairs to the car,

3. Cost of any additional modifications done to the car,

4. Any payments made to others working on the car.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically , with $1000 , you have to get everything together to race whatever .

Now to some this sounds like a Half Assed Idea , but after speaking to some guys at the Morwell hill Climb , its not as half assed as you would think ..

Just wondering , if anyone knows of One already in Victoria I could Join , or by a Slim Chance , Would Anyone have Any Interest at all , if one was started up..

Cheers

Daniel

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 1d

They do this in (dam I forgot the country) it was on a recent episode of Top Gear, where James May ended competing in a race, apparantly it is extremely succesful and very poular.

Scotty

• NOT THERE!... THERE!
  • Member For: 15y 11m 26d

Sounds like it'd be the most fun you could have standing up for that money.

Awesome idea.

The only cheapish form of racing that I've heard of is the BMW E30 Racing series.

BMW E30 Series

You can lease or hire a car for about $1500 per meet, then you pay entry fee and fuel/tyre costs on top of that.

But the 1k idea sounds like way more fun. Being able to buy, build and drive a car for a grand and still be competitive is pretty damn unbeatable in terms of value for money racing.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 11d

Woiuld be alot of fun, pick up an old EB or something for a few hundred bucks, strip everything out of it, including glass! Then get a basic cage welded in! With the left over money you could do a few reliabilty things like service the engine, new pads and maybe discs if not machine them.

Too bad I'm in NSW, I'd give it a go!

• Legendary member!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 27d

I think it sounds like fun and would surely pull a few laughs...

Problem is, with "Global Credit crisis and how expensive most fun things are to do at the moment", $1k isnt really that cheap for entertainment...

You could probably do quite a bit in terms of fun stuff for $1k, and obviously people with families that may/may not be coming into some tougher times would be hesitant to pay a grand to race a car that isn't really gonna be that fast/safe. Surely they could spend that $1000 on something with more benefit for their family/children...

I suppose if its geared toward people with loadsa disposable income it would work however, people with large amounts of disposable income would surely want to race something quicker/safer/more exclusive or have other expensive hobbies...

Its a good idea still, just being a realist and giving my opinion...

• TRAITOR
  • Member For: 21y 5m 30d

As already mentioned, Top Gear did a recent article on this style of event in Scandanavia. Very successful.

The one rule that makes this idea work, is that after a race has been completed, if one of the other drivers says to you 'Lets swap cars', you HAVE to swap cars. This stops people spending excessive amounts of money on their car, because they know they'll only win one race, and then have to give it to someone else.

Brilliant idea.

• Azzman
  • Member For: 15y 8m 27d

the cheapest form of motorsport at the moment would have to be go-karting or HQ Expensive Daewoo racing.

My old man raced HQ's on the thunderdone for years until they closed the joint down, man the was good racing though.

Imagine 40 HQ Holdens, 202 straight 6, 3 speed manual gearboxes heading flat knacker around the thunderdome. this = FUN

He still races every year at the winton HQ 4 hour enduro race, its relatively cheap to get into, and loads of fun