External Wastegate Or Flapper Mod?

HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 10m 25d

Hi guys and gals. I have just purchased a spare secondhand housing. I will be building a new bottom end and I have a few questions about external wastegates before I proceed any further.

I openly admit that this is an area that I have little/No knowledge. So please be gentle... I have done a few searches and have not been able to find any information on this forum. Any help greatly appreciated.

1) Which is better (Value for money) ?

2) Is an external gate only necessary for extremely high powered engines?

3) Is there any power gains/losses from using either?

4) If I get an external wastegate mod. How will this affect different boost levels with my different tunes?

Does the boost level get adjusted by the PCM or does it have to adjusted manually by changing springs in the blow off valve?

5) I already have a new 12 pound actuator sitting here . Will a modded internal gate be sufficient?

6) Can anyone advise me as to the cost of both methods?

Thank you for you time and advice :freak:

Cheers Brad

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 11d
Hi guys and gals. I have just purchased a spare secondhand housing. I will be building a new bottom end and I have a few questions about external wastegates before I proceed any further.

I openly admit that this is an area that I have little/No knowledge. So please be gentle... I have done a few searches and have not been able to find any information on this forum. Any help greatly appreciated.

1) Which is better (Value for money) ? Internal is generally cheaper

2) Is an external gate only necessary for extremely high powered engines? No, it is better for boost control on high or mid power levels

3) Is there any power gains/losses from using either? I can't see any losses, but both give you greater potential for making power

4) If I get an external wastegate mod. How will this affect different boost levels with my different tunes?

Does the boost level get adjusted by the PCM or does it have to adjusted manually by changing springs in the blow off valve? The external gate has a base spring pressure like the internal, so whatever spring is in the gate will be your lowest boost. The boost solenoid will still control the boost level.

5) I already have a new 12 pound actuator sitting here . Will a modded internal gate be sufficient? These are good for well into the 300's, but external may be more precise

6) Can anyone advise me as to the cost of both methods? Check out ETMs external gate mod for pricing. The internal porting should only cost a couple of hundred

Thank you for you time and advice :freak:

Cheers Brad

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y

I would go the external gate, you will have alot better control. Something also to consider will be if you do go external, you will have to modify your dump pipe to plumb back the gate, or vent to atmosphere and piss your neighbours off!!!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 30d

Yeah externals are much better, cost is higher, but not by a huge amount.

There's a few different mounting options, such as off the exhaust housing offered by ETM, or off the centre section of the manifold if you don't want to cut into the turbo.