Cat Removal And Tune?

nut161

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

ok it seems my aps cat has had a big death and I dont have the spare coin with xmas and all at present to get a new one.

so I was thinking so I can drive the car in the meantime of removing it, punching the guts of it out and welding a 3" pipe inside it then reinstalling back to the car. will the extra flow mess with the tune too much?? the car used to make 327rwkw before the car started to go and now its completely undrivable.

yes I know its highly illegal but need a car asap and this is only a 2 month max dilemma

Edited by nut161

Depends how well the APS cat flows as to whether or not you'll need a retune mate. If it flows nearly the same cfm as a 3" straight through pipe you'll be fine but it's highly unlikely.

Throw it on the dyno to be sure :nuts:

• Member For: 16y 3m 12d

yer try to drill a 1" hole through the middle of it in the mean time so you don't have major over boost issues. I imagine you definately will if you remove it all together.

I know of 'someone' boring a 1" hole through the middle of their APS catalytic converter this weekend before it gets tuned the following day, so I might be able to ask 'them' how it worked out

Why wouldn't they just punch the whole lot out? It's still illegal to have a 1" hole so might as well go for gold seeing as the outcome would be the same after being nabbed :nuts: