Performance Issue

xceptional

This is exactly what mine was doing - identical! - I was stupid and listened to a lot of people, spent a lot of money FOR NOTHING, I did coil packs (6 good spare ones going cheap), plugs gapped with three different settings, fuel filter etc etc, at the end of the day it was the fuel pump strainer, its a little filter on the bottom of the fuel pump, forget about replacing it, Ford will try and sell you the whole pump and assembly, thieves!!! below is a link to some pics of it, it should be white and clean, once it was off wham, better than ever.

Leave your plugs alone, the factory ones are fine, you can reduce the gap, but really unless your pushing big boost forget it.

I also as part of the mission checked all the hose lines and clips on the turbo system to make sure they were all fitting and tight, one was loose but didnt resolve the issue.

The fuel pump assembly is under the back seat, its about a 15 minute job with the only pain being the clips on the feed, return and breather hoses on the top of the assembly, the pump is inside of a big plastic, in my mind "design fault" don't be shy trying to separate it, it will come apart with even steady pressure, do not attempt to take off the fuel line to the pump, its not the type that will go back on, or take it to your mechanic to do.

http://gallery.me.com/taylor.family#100140

As per above post^^

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 5m 18d

Mate. I had the same probs. Have a look and see if your bolts on your turbo are done up tight to the exhaust manifold. I checked mine and found that 2 were loose and 1 was missing!!!. So I tightened them up and was all good. No power cuts and no more silly noises. I changed the plugs at the same time.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 27d
Update at last

I have had the fuel filter replaced and the problem seems to be worse. So far battery replaced (as it needed it anyway), fuel filter replaced (was pretty clogged too).

Now when under acceleration and especially in third it begins to wind up probably around 2500 to 3000 rpm then it just dies. It does not accelerate and the throttle is unresponsive. I have ordered some coils and will get some BKR6ES (standard non iridium plugs) which I will replace on the weekend to see how that goes.

Any other ideas, (fuel pump, injectors).

I have also noticed a rattle in the CAT only when the vehicle is stationary, in gear with the brake on. Ford says it shouldn't be the cause of any performance issues and shouldn't cause any damage (unless the internals become dislodged blocking the exhaust further down the track).

Cheers

This could suggest that the TPS is stuffed.....

go to ford or a tuner that can read the codes, and see if there are any error codes....

TPS is your throttle position sensor... mine is stuffed at the moment.... sometimes I put my foot down and the sensor does not read the throttle position, it then chucks a hissy fit

worth checking out

Edited by jetute

• Member For: 15y 5m 27d

Well today I replaced the coils and plugs. Took it for a drive and the symptoms still exist although they have given it some noticeable poke. I have been reading the Official BA repair manual (some 2089 pages of it) to see what it may say about the fuel pump. It virtually quoted the symptoms I have been experiencing. From the repair manual:

"The fuel pump assembly is mounted inside the fuel tank within a reservoir. The reservoir maintains a pool of fuel at the pick-up point and prevents fuel starvation during hard acceleration, braking and cornering."

The manual goes on to describe the fuel pump assemly:

"Fuel Pump: A filter screen is mounted on the intake side of the fuel pump. The filter is part of

assembly and cannot be replaced separately."

However I understand the filter screen can be bought separately. This is the next thing to replace. Does anyone know where I can purchase a filter screen? Or is it worthwhile spending a little bit of $$$ and upgrading the fuel pump also to something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220299649301

Would an upgraded fuel pump have any damaging effect on the fuel delivery system?

Got to be getting close to resolving this issue.

Cheers

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 1m 17d

Hi,

I had a rough idle and the odd death whilst driving for no reason.

Some things to try are fuel filter replacement, and also look at replacing the o2 sensor with something a little more sophisticated eg: a Hella unit.

Worth taking to a performance tunner who knows fords - get an edit while your there and dont look back.

Cheers

James.