Auto To Manual Conversion

K3iTaR0

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

mate I'm looking at doing the same thing. my 4sp won't handle the power and I'm completely over auto's. I wanted a manual originally but couldn't find one I liked so yeah. anyways give malwood a buzz, they're forum advertisers, they have everything to do the job. they can do the conversion for you, but note you won't have much change out of 9 grand... I've decided its worth it as I'm fed up with auto's... it depends on what you want out of the car and what you're willing to spend.

Howsee

• Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member For: 16y 7m 9d

Dean (03XR6T) did the same thing, so he'd be a great source of info if he's around, but yeh other than that, Mal Wood Auto - Here will give you costing on the gear/transplant.

Dan

• Azzman
  • Member For: 15y 8m 6d

depends if you want 5 or 6 speed manual. Being a BA a 6 speed conversion would take a lot of work and $$$, and correct me if I'm wrong but a 5 speed manual wouldnt take much more power than a 4 speed auto.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 6d

It takes about a day to carry out the conversion if your doing it on the floor in your garage. Im pretty sure Mal has it down to around 6 hours?

Its no more work to install a 6spd over a 5spd. A few members on here have done it for around 5K using secondhand boxes. Mine was closer to 7.5k with a new box, new clutch alloy csc, braided lines, new pedal box etc etc

I did mine because i already owned the car, was happy with the mods already done (nizpro kit etc) and its was (at the time) going to cost me closer to 15k to trade up a BA MKII ute to get the six speed.

• Azzman
  • Member For: 15y 8m 6d

To do a 6 speed manual conversion in a BA do you need a 2 piece tailshaft? I only say this because the BA MKII's were the first 6 speed boxes and these had 2 piece tailshafts, I've never seen a 6 speed box with a 1 piece. Or does it have a 2 piece already?

The 5 speeds have a 2 piece already & I'd be guessing the 4 speed auto's would as well :spoton:

Got to change the yoke on the box end of the TS for it to fit the new box...

• Member For: 16y 11d

would it be a simitar swap for the n/a. or do XRs and XTs have different length shafts... maybe a diff and box conversion... now im gettin excited