Anyone Run Their Fgt Down The 1/4?

45T-XR

• Member For: 16y 5m 10d
wheel and motor are a strange group in my opnion.

They seem to go through moods when it comes to which marque they support at the time.

Would be nice to see a cover of Motor that doesnt have a Expensive Daewoo sprawlled across its front page!!!

Yeah I think their moods are largely determined by who's handing out the most cash...

....and as for MOTOR, Expensive Daewoo is obviously handing out all the cash there, they feature at LEAST twice as much Expensive Daewoo crap in their mags than Fords... *ughh* .. and you'll never see a realistic real-world 0-100 time for a Ford in that mag, but you'll see plenty of bullsh*t 'Expensive Daewoo quoted' times, even if they know they'll never achieve them in real life...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inactive Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 21d

I dont know about the 1/4 mile but I turned a brand new FG XR6 Turbo into a fully race preped production car to run in the Australian Manufactures Championship, it was very quick keeping up with the GTS Commodores in a straight line but would not handle so well. I toasted the engine in the second race meeting the oil pump exploded and wiped out the timing chain so you can imagine the mess it made. Since found out you need to put billet gears in the oil pump for heavy track use!

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 16y 7m 16d
Got to remember that wheels and motor don't have the sticky take off area like the drag strip does. The normally do their testing on the pit straight or some other piece of straight track/road. There is no way anyone will match their drag strip time on the street as the grip is not comparable.

Their timing gear works totally different to the drags as well. Its starts as soon as the rear wheels move vs crossing the beam. They tested it 2 years back or so with a Porsche GT2, their data said the car ran an 11.7 or so. The drag timer said 11.5, basically by the time the car crosses the beam at the drags its already in motion which reduces the ET quite drastically.

• Member For: 20y 8m 18d
Their timing gear works totally different to the drags as well. Its starts as soon as the rear wheels move vs crossing the beam. They tested it 2 years back or so with a Porsche GT2, their data said the car ran an 11.7 or so. The drag timer said 11.5, basically by the time the car crosses the beam at the drags its already in motion which reduces the ET quite drastically.

I would have to disagree with your comments about the beams at the drag strip. the beams at the strip at triggered by your front wheels, when you stage the vehicle and bring on the two bulbs on the christmas tree you are breaking the beam, as soon as you roll forward a fraction the beam breaks and the timing sequence starts, any difference in staging ie deep staging or short staging will only effect the et by a very small margin, around 0.001-5 of a second not a couple of tenths.

• Boost Addict
  • Member For: 15y 8m 7d

PRobably taking mine down on the 22nd dec, just a tune so far. Will be nice to see what I can get now, before all the gear goes on early next.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 11d
I dont know about the 1/4 mile but I turned a brand new FG XR6 Turbo into a fully race preped production car to run in the Australian Manufactures Championship, it was very quick keeping up with the GTS Commodores in a straight line but would not handle so well. I toasted the engine in the second race meeting the oil pump exploded and wiped out the timing chain so you can imagine the mess it made. Since found out you need to put billet gears in the oil pump for heavy track use!

You should have jumped on here first. We could have told you that :pinch: