Oil Catch Can

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 12d

After having my oil catch can sitting on the shelf for over a year, I thought it was time to fit it.

Its a Ricer spec can bought from Auto barn but it will do the job

_D2X4025-1.jpg

Checked out the engine bay and the only suitable place for mounting was beside the brake booster

The two bolts holding on the master cylinder were perfect for mounting the bracket, with plenty of thread left on the bolts

_D2X4035.jpg

Used a some cardboard to mock up a bracket. after a few trial fittings came up with one that cleared the master cylinder and held the can in about the right position.

_D2X4054.jpg

I made the bracket out of some 2mm ally plate that I got for nix from a scrap metal yard, Tools I used where a drill, jig saw and hand file to tidy it up after cutting. Once I was happy with it I gave it a sand with course sand paper in one direction to give it a decent finish.

_D2X4033.jpg

_D2X4034.jpg

In this photo you can see how the bracket mounts to the brake booster

_D2X4044.jpg

and in this one, how the bracket mounts to the oil catch can

_D2X4028.jpg

As the can is supplied with nothing in it, I added a couple of stainless steel pot scrubbers to increase the surface area and hopefully catch more of the oil.

_D2X4038.jpg

_D2X4040.jpg

I used 10mm inside diameter radiator over flow hose to connect the OM breather hose to the catch can, I bought about about 3 meters of the radiator hose which turned out to be a perfect amount but not much extra to play with, leaving about an inch of the orginal hose on each plug the hose was pushed in side the new catch can hose, ending up with a tight fit that should be free of leaks.

As it was the only hose that I could find that would fit, I had to go with it but being radiator hose it should handle the heat of the engine bay, but not sure how it will go with the vacuum, should be ok but I will keep an eye on it.

_D2X4047.jpg

This pic shows the final install with the hoses run along the fire wall to reach the other side of the engine bay.

_D2X4052-1.jpg

In all its pretty easy and took about half a day to do :spoton:

• Like 1

• Member For: 20y 8m 14d

Top job and great install Seventytwo. Thanks for all the pics. Have you thought about not plumbing this back into the intake? I understand this is not legal.

• Lifetime Members

I thought about it, but I think the less the coppers can do me for the better.

• Member For: 20y 8m 14d

I can understand that.

Does anyone know if you could just run a pipe from the cam cover straight to below the engine bay to drain this oil without placing a can on at all? Can this introduce other problems?

• iTs alL DaRDy........
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 14d

mate looks great

I was just thinking about doing the samething.

one problem- there seems to be a scratch on the front of the catch can, almost looks like a word!!! Drift perhaps???? I could just be seeing things. :stupid:

seriously though- Sexy

• Member For: 17y 1m 6d
I can understand that.

Does anyone know if you could just run a pipe from the cam cover straight to below the engine bay to drain this oil without placing a can on at all? Can this introduce other problems?

Do you mean just dump the oil? That is bad practise as we all know what happens when oil gets under your tyres, or worse still the tyres of a motorbike.

It also disregards the fact that the vacuum rushing into the turbo sucks on the crankcase vapours pulling them from the crankcase gaining you hp and reducing oil leaks everywhere in the engine.

• Lifetime Members
Good neat job!!

Although the nuts don't look to be fully on the master cylinder studs now, are these nylocks?

I was just checking the fit so I had not tightened the nuts up, The nuts have a captured lock washer so they should not come loose and I used 2mm ally plate so there is still plenty of thread left over when the nuts are tight.

mate looks great

I was just thinking about doing the samething.

one problem- there seems to be a scratch on the front of the catch can, almost looks like a word!!! Drift perhaps???? I could just be seeing things. :stupid:

seriously though- Sexy

Yup, etched in so I am stuck with it. :idunno: