Project Opensource Icc - Hardware, Software

MrBean

• Member For: 17y 10m 22d

Heya Steve,

Yep, it's like one of them good novels - and I luv reading.

The only pics I have of my progress is the Dev Board, and J-TAG programmer for the AVR - lols. Lot's of studies ahead of me for the next 2-3 weeks, have to get all the required signals sorted, then determine which bits/bytes they represent in the CAN-message structure, and document all that.

Once we have all this data, can we begin programming. We might even get some of our more gifted coders here to do something in C, as there exists decent C-Compilers for this AVR - will be easier to do than assembler.

So:

1) we need to capture all s/ware variables, external IO-signals

2) Need to assign physical inputs to suitable ports on the AVR, for example Incr Temp will go to port 1, bit6, Decr Temp port 1, bit7...and so on - just a simplified description.

3) Once the hardware layout is complete, and we know what IO's are on which ports, can we start coding.

So, will be a bit before we get there, but I will dedicate a fair bit of my limitied free time over the next couple of weeks to get to the stage immediate prior to coding - then I will need some help.

If someone else wants to study the CAN-messaging and start working on that, it will be handy.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 7m 15d

So with the previous carputer project, did you end up disassembling everything, such as the glove box mounted mac? Or are you planning to still use the stainless steel ball to hook up to this ICC replacement and then just remove the mac? Or has all of it sorta sat as is while you conquer this project? lol

So with the previous carputer project, did you end up disassembling everything, such as the glove box mounted mac? Or are you planning to still use the stainless steel ball to hook up to this ICC replacement and then just remove the mac? Or has all of it sorta sat as is while you conquer this project? lol

Ha, soz, I thought you were referring to just the emulator-portion of the project...the carputer is ready to roll, it's up and running, I have the 8.4" Transflective, the stainless trackball is mounted in the UTE, I am busy with an "enclosure" for it to replace the standard cupholder - I ordered and received a huge 2.44x1.44 m/2 ABS sheet from CityPlastics earlier in the week - I need a small bit of this for some ABS work on the fascia et al.

Will post pics of this in the carputer log as I progress. The carputer will sit behind the "old" ICC fascia - will be plenty of real-estate, as the new ICC-emulator will be smaller than a pac of 20's sigarettes.

Below some inter-node communications data, pertaining to HIM/ICC/BEM/PCM. We still need the comm's from/to Instrument Cluster (IC) - but, we will get there.

The part that is of particular interest to us is the to/from ICC variables:

Information Description Sender Receiver ACC MCC HTR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Inlet Mode (Refresh/Recirc) HIM ICC Y Y Y

Air Outlet Mode (Face /Floor/Screen) HIM ICC Y Y Y

Person Display Icon HIM ICC Y Y Y

A/C Display Icon HIM ICC N Y N

A/C Max Display Icon HIM ICC N Y N

A/C Off Display Icon HIM ICC Y N N

Blower Fan Speed Manual Selection HIM ICC Y N N

Drivers Side Temperature Selection HIM ICC Y N N

Passenger Side Temperature Selection HIM ICC Y N N

Ambient Temperature HIM ICC Y N N

Climate Control mode (Auto/Semi/Off) HIM ICC Y N N

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blower fan motor operating speed V HIM PCM Y Y Y

Evaporatore Core Surface Temperature HIM PCM Y Y N

A/C Compressor engagement request HIM PCM Y Y N

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blower / Temp Knob Positions ICC HIM N Y Y

Climate Control Push Buttons ICC HIM Y Y Y

ICC Module Type (Auto/Manual/Climate) ICC HIM Y Y Y

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignition Switch Accessory Position BEM HIM Y Y Y

Cabin Temperature Sensor BEM HIM Y N N

Sun Load Sensor BEM HIM Y N N

Engine RPM PCM HIM Y Y Y

Vehicle Road Speed PCM HIM Y Y Y

DTC Logging Enable PCM HIM Y Y Y

A/C Load Reduction PCM HIM Y Y N

Engine Coolant Temperature PCM HIM Y N N

Engine Cylinder Count PCM HIM Y N N

edit: Posting this somehow screws with the rows/columns format, so find attached text file for better clarity.

Node_CAN_Communications.txt

Edited by MrBean

Cool

So in short response (lol) the mac is gone, but pretty much everything else remains, and the carputer is now moved to behind the facia, and you are keeping the rest as is (apart from the facia itself)

Sounds cooo :lookaround: ooool

Steve

I still have the Mac Mini, as well as a Commell LV-677 in a very neat Industrial Serener GS-L05, and then a smaller Commell LS-372 in a temporary custom case for now - see pics below for how small this LS-372 really is - I fitted it in a dual 3.5" harddrive enclosure, with room to spare.

pctopopen.jpg

and

pcbacklid.jpg

and

pcdvd.jpg

These LS-372's are very powerful, the ideal candidate for the Carputer environment - it has similar specs to the LV-677, but in a small factor the same size as your 3.5" computer harddrive - neat, hey?

Hehe...I have to many toys.

• ŠύЂפֿĺmβø ™
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 27d

Very nice beanie, Ive been playing around with a Commell LV 674E, They are very nice boards!, The 7.1ch Audio is also very cool :)

Ive got it all set up on my dining table, with my 10.4" touchscreen etc.. I'm just waiting for this project to progress to see what I want to do with it! Should I install the 10.4" Touchscreen? Decisions, Decisions..

Guys,

Sounds fantastic, - Bean, really like the look of the board and the system size, fantastic.

I'd go and get my hands on the boards you have so far, but don't wanna risk it incase something changes - I make a :hiwelcome: wage lol, is there anything at the moment that you think will not be changed and stay within the project? - Or once its working, are you going to assemble some for those who would like them and send them out?

Steve

Should I install the 10.4" Touchscreen? Decisions, Decisions..

Go on, you know you want to :-)

I'd go and get my hands on the boards you have so far, but don't wanna risk it incase something changes

Nope, you can go ahead, this unit will really be pretty much independant, once we get the basics going, we can then finetune, and at a later stage integrate an USB interface between the Carputer and Microcontroller, and use a front-end plugin to control the HVAC once the carputer is running.

I have currently identified the overlay control chip in the LCD controller Ford uses, and we may even go so far as to develope an overlay control onto our aftermarket screens - but, I'm jumping the gun a little, but these are real possibilities.

So yes, a fair ways to go still.

I will post the bit-related data for all the control-signals either tomorrow or Friday evening, with Lukey's help we have a complete list of exactly where in the CAN message structure these are located.

Will keep you all posted.

@ Glimmerman: I'm still awaiting the ICC unit Tree Monkey donated to this cause :-)

I will post up the bit-data for the messaging tonight, but before receiving the ICC I cannot make real hardware progress.

Br,

Beanie