Project Opensource Icc - Hardware, Software

MrBean

• Member For: 17y 10m 22d

Hello Guys,

Anyone have a dual-zone ICC (dead or alive) they want to donate to this project?

I need to perform some reverse engineering....you will most likely not get it back again, or, alive that is....so, if you need it, don't....

Thank you all.

Beanie

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 3m 19d

sounds like a good investment if someone has a high end unit laying around and wants to donate it.......they may get first dibbs on one of the finished product at a discounted rate????? :censored:

Edited by Tree Monkey

Hey Tree Monkey,

This being an open source project, all the data will be shared here :) So, everyone can benefit, and do a DYI if they want.

I will definately do a pcb for myself, and, once proto-typed, for those that's not so fortunate to design/manufacture the boards, we can run a batch at low cost and send it to members - they will be up to soldering their own components though, but, if the demand is fairly low, I can do one or two for members.

Certainly, if you donate something like a ICC, I will definately remember you - but, please be aware projects like these can take significant time to mature, as I have a few hours here and there to work on it, due to work committments....

Otherwise, I can always look at getting an ICC back to you again if this doesn't work out.

I will appreciate your input though.

Kind regards,

Beanie.

• Member For: 16y 3m 19d

I am to happy to help and dont worry about postage just have fun with it.... I got it cheep from a mate at the wreckers and it has just been sitting around doing nothing

• Legendary member!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 6d

This is really exciting... A great idea.

A lot of your computer Jargon doesnt register with me and I know its gonna take time so this might be hard to answer, but if a layman like me wants to buy the whole lot from you or whoever so its simply a plug and play type of product, what would the approximate cost be?

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer in terms of help...

Im quite amazed at the way you are so driven to get around the problems that have come up, I think a lot of others would have probably binned the project (myself included) so well done...

Will be watching your developments with interest!

• Gold Platinum Member
  • Member For: 19y 9m 2d

Sounds great bean. Where is the project up to? Im happy to help (time permitting) with tips / ideas / design if there is anything you dont know ;). Will you be building off a standard distro or going more hard core?

• Member For: 15y 7m 15d

@Bean - In your other Carputer project, I noticed how you cut the board for the tyre temp and pressure monitor system, hooked it up to USB and run it from there.

Is there some way you could do the same with the control board for the HVAC? - if there is a board, but allow it to be read by the carputer, but also allow its outputs to be written by the carputer? - so that it is there during the handshake at the start as normal, and then can act as a bridge between the carputer and the vehicle after handshaking?

I would imagine though that this would still require the codes for the HVAC - but would it be an option that could allow it to be easier?

Anyways, that's my 1 cent lol,

Steve

@ Veczar: Thanx for your offer, appreciated - there's lots of input to be given :) We will stick with WinXP for the carputer, I will finetune the Embedded version for this specific motherboard though - got a good working sample going, small, and fast.

@ Glimmerman: The ICC generally has only one main rather large motherboard, with the radio, HVAC and CAN interface mostly running through a propietary microcontroller - of course there's a smaller board, but this carries the interface connector to the main wiring harness, as well as the power-amp for the radio..

It might be a possibility to divorce the smc micro-controller from the pcb, and use just the CANbus portion for coms on the bus...the ideal though would be to have a complete clean-slate approach, and design something based on a USB-capable CAN microchip, so we can do exactly what you refer to - dual functionality, ie with carputer either on or off, you can still adjust HVAC controls.

We might get there eventually.

Thanx for the input, guys.

Edited by MrBean