Low Boost Even After Flash Tuner.... Is Its Actuator?

ravenhard

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 17d

I know what your problem is and its not valve springs..

I've seen 3 cases of it..

1) Kissy's car, His actuator was disconnected. Somehow we suspect the previous owner, returning the car to stock swapped the actuator and didnt hook the old one up properly.

He has been running the capa generic tune, and although noticing a power increase when using the box, vs standard, and a boost increase, this is caused by extra timing.. Remember, his wastegate was not connected, it was flapping freely

2) BB's ute. His wastegate was Jammed open. As you will see in a moment, There is a collet which is welded to the exhaust housing, which has cracked, and slipped outwards of the housing, and the flaps jammed against the side of the housing unable to close..

BB was running a generic tune, his mates said his was real slow on coming on boost.. No doubt, the wastegate was jammed open, there was pretty much NO movement in his wastegate what so ever

3) hqracer's ute. (PICTURE ATTACHED), is also another case where the collets weld to the housing has broken, and as you can see in the picture, the flap is not seating.

I tuned hqracers ute about 6 months ago, However, I was rather disapointed with the results on how it come on power. I told him, wastegate actuator, and valve springs.. We choose to do wastegate first.. and good enough we did, because this is what we found..

Here's HQracers turbo as removed from his car. as you can see the actuator arm is still attached, and the wastegate is not shut. the collet weld had broken.

post-7161-1208691223_thumb.jpg

Danny

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 25d

thanks for the info headsex, so basically tell my tuner to check if my wastegate is functioning properly as it could be either jamming open and/or wont shut properly? Seeing as he is going to be taking off the assembly, should I just change the actuator to a 8lb or 10lb just for the sake of it as it would be cheaper than doing it all again at a later date

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 17d

well only real way you can check is pull the turbo off..

slip in a 12psi actuator, but you should only do this if you have injectors, as this would be on edge of the standard injectors..

Also port the wastegate to avoid possible overboost in the future

• Member For: 16y 5m 27d

My ute didn't exactly do the same thing. It was very late to come onto boost but it still got its 10psi. After HeadSex pulled the turbo off we soon realised that all the boost I was getting was over boost as my actuator was JAMMED open. Who knows how long it was like that. Cut a long story short the power difference between what it was and now, still running 10 psi is UNBELIEVABLE

• 2 months later...
  • Donating Members

well Im about to go back to my tuner in the next week or so to get a few things done including a wastgate/flapper/actuator mod done, but as I was looking around my car today I noticed that it had a hidden ChipTorque’s XEDE Processor installed and plugged in. Now I have only had the car a few months and the private buyer I got it from didnt mention that came included. It looks like its all wired up and connect to the ecu but the car only pulled 195kw stock(when I mean stock I mean just the xede thingy plugged in.)

So back to the original issue of only getting 5psi boost on a generic 10psi capa flash tune, could this xede processor be limiting the ability of the car to get 10psi of boost as I read on the website

These methods are ChipTorque’s XEDE Processor, which intercepts the signals to your vehicle’s computer or ChipTorque’s Xflash, which reflashes a performance program directly into your vehicle’s computer.

When I go back to my tuner to get a heap of stuff installed will this affect the custom tune Im getting, and can I somehow disconnect it and get rid of it myself?

• Donating Members

how would I get rid of it though, there is alot of wires going from the plug on the back of the unit. can I just unplug it and wont affect anything else in the car?