Bang For Your Buck Upgrades... N/A

NVT

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 23d

Hey guys,

I have a stock standard BF XR6. Want a little more power and performance.

Was thinking along the lines of;

An underdrive Kit. (10-15rwkw Apparently)

F6 CAI/Snorkell system. (??? Not sure of rwkw increase...)

(Hopefully an exhaust system a little later, and a CAPA Flash tune.)

For the underdrive kit and the F6 snorkell to be purchased - about $250 for the underdrives and $80 for the snorkell. That's $330 all up. Can these mods be done by a novice or would I be better off getting a mechanic to fit them?

Are these mods worth doing? Any other cheap suggestions?

(One last question - my uncle said if I were to get the snorkel, that I would most probably have to change the air flow meter and possibly the plenum - is that right? He said a larger diameter air flow hose from the plenum would also be a good bet.)

Thanks guys,

Dan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members

I'm also interested to find out how many rwkw's a dead stock BF NA XR6 should have? (Wanted to see how man rwkw's it would have before and after mods...)

About 150? 160? All the talk here is about T's so I thought I'd ask about an NA :tonguepoke:

Cheers,

Dan

• ŠύЂפֿĺmβø ™
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 26d

Hey mate,

Ebay is your friend, Contact NOS XR on the forums about the underdrives, I'm pretty sure he is selling them for about $200..

Apparently the F6 Intake and XR6T Snorkel are the best bang for your buck mods to do for a N/A, Followed by a K&N Air filter. I havn't got mine yet, So only time will tell.

Go with the above first, Then start looking at a a new Exhaust, You can go all out by and spend $1,500+ on it, Or you can search around for a XR6T/XR8 Catback System, Which should set you back under $150. Combined with a highflow cat, This should give you a nice note. The System is almost a direct fit, Except for the "Y" Pipe that connects to the outlet of the CAT, It needs to change from the "Y" to one pipe, In order to fit the CAT.

After this you should be looking at underdrives, Pacemaker headers, And finally A custom tune.

As for the stock rwkw's for a BF, I'm not sure... If anybody had the stat for a BF & BA, Please post it up :)

Hope it helps,

James

• Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member For: 17y

My bro has a BF XR6 and we fitted a XR6T exhaust from the manifold back (we cut the dump pipe and welded it to the manifold) it ended up working a treat as the T CAT is bigger then the N/A's. We got his car dyno'd and it made an impressive 168rwkw, not even tuned yet and still standard intake.

Big dollar saving can be had with fitting a second hand Turbo exhaust.

Make your headers 4495 Pacemakers, theres a guy in Vic that sells pacemakers on ebay, if he not running an add for the 4495's email him. I got my old headers from him and saved about $200.

• RUS531
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 8d

I would defiantly start with the exhaust, but when you're looking for one remember you can't change the CAT because of the second o2 sensor, if you do the car will go into limp mode.... however you can have this edited out (along with your warranty).

I went for the Pacemaker 4490 (for the low down torque) and an 2.5 mandrel bent catback system done by XForce. set me back about a $1k all up

then when I got my edit the first dyno result (with only the exhaust) it got 170kw. After the tune and air filter I got 180kw

(a BA N/A (auto) went on the dyno after mine with just a exhaust and air K&N filter and pulled about 165Kw after the edit)

As for you intake just wack the snorkel on there. there is no flow meter...that I know of... the ECU will adapt to the extra air and theres no need to change the plenum.

Exhaust in my opinion should be the first mod.

Edited by RUS531

• RUS531
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 8d

the only other thing I can think of is Cams

silly question....if you put different cams in does that make your engine a open motor (opposed to being unopened)

Edited by RUS531

Heres the run down

4495 header will net you anything from 15 to 20 Kw

A performance CAT is a must.

2 1/2 inch exhaust is a must.

Air filters are almost all the same.

Under drive 9 rwkw 12 to 13 Kw at the fly.

Edit with custom Tune will get you 14 to 15 rwkw about 20 at the fly.

Crow cams, bigger job but the stage 2 will get you about another 10 to 15 rwkw after tuning.

Over sive throttle bodies, looks the goods but that's all they do for you.

High stall, will drop .2 off you 1/4 but reduce you dyno numbers (if your into that)

4.11 diff gears will make for a pig at the pump but drop you another .3 to .4 off you 1/4 time.

All this isn't that much, and when its all said and done you'll run in the 13 sec club all day long.

Expect $5000 to do it all, but at the end of the day you'll have a 13 sec car, lower fuel bills than a XR6 turbo and more power than an XR8.

There a number of guy sporting this type of set up on another Ford Forum and they love the challange of building a vehicle that's almost unsupported by most tuners.

Theres more equipment on its way but who knows when it'll get here.

Hope that helps.

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members

So a good way to go would be;

Performance CAT

Exhaust system (Do I want a ful system or a cat-back??)

Headers/Extractors (are the 4495's classed as extractors or headers??)

Custom Tune

F6 Snorkel - CAI

Underdrive kit (NOS XR - are you selling any?)

For these mods - how much in $$$ for the parts and labour roughly and how many rwkw roughly?

For these mods - how much in $$$ for the parts and labour roughly and how many rwkw roughly?

For your list there about $3000 to $3250 including fitting.

Underdrive kit (NOS XR - are you selling any?)

take a good look for underdrives on ebay mate.

The high stall and diff would add a bit under $2000 fitted.