Bang For Your Buck Upgrades... N/A

NVT

• Member For: 16y 1m 26d
ebxample - Is that whats currently in my XR6 PLUS the secondary lower snorkel?

Where are you located mate and how old is it all? Good condition?

Thanks for the responses guys - I really appreciate it :)

I have seen 20% BA underdrives on ebay - Will these fit my BF MKI??? Also looked for those 4495's but there are none at the moment.

And in the exhaust department - do I want a 'secondhand Cat-back turbo' exhaust?

Cheers,

Dan

The bottom half of box is different with the lower intake and the side snorkel off the turbos are bigger than your xr6 one. I am in Frankston,Melbourne.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• RUS531
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 8d

no it wont.... ford work upon this principle, if your mod breaks something or causes a malfunction then they will not cover it under warranty

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 6m 14d

not sure if this helps anyone, but ive just got a quote from my local exhaust place ( exhaust innovations in brisbane ) ive got a ba xr6, full exhaust system inc. PH 4490's. 575 fitted, hi flo cat with mandrel bent steel piece attached. and Redback twin outlet 2 1/2 inch cat back exhaust, all fitted for $1490. I was reccomended by brian (owner) to avoid xforce as its cheap and nasty, redback is australian manufactured so you know your getting quallity.

if anyone is in the brisbane area looking for someone to do their exhaust work I highly reccomend him as he did my prelude before I got my xr6, that was a full custom job and the welds were perfect.

so yeh, for a High quallity full exhaust system ( excluding comp headers due to I prefer to keep my bottom end grunt ) $1490 fitted and installed sounding sweet.

• Member For: 15y 10m 9d
but remember you can't change the cat without doing the tune! you'll have to get your tuner to do do the change over so they can edit out the euro4 emmision settings. otherwise you'll get halfway down the road from the exhaust shop and wonder why the engine light is on and your car is acting doughy

Ugh....wrong.

Explain why I fitted a 2.5in" high flow cat to my BA Mk1 XR6...and didn't get a tune or anything like that. Never once seen my engine light come on, and it was far from doughy. o2 sensor is located before the cat on the std headers anyways. Hmmm.

As for bang for your buck mods...Get an F6 lower intake, K&N panel filter and an XR6 upper snorkel. Won't really give you any rwkw, but you'll get better throttle response and a nice induction roar. All up...well for me...It was about $150ish. If you wanna go further, build some custom piping from the airbox to the TB.

Exhaust is the next thing. Good set of headers, 2.5in" catback and a high flow cat. Should pick up a few rwkw there.

Underdrives next. Good luck finding someone to put it on though. You need a special harmonic balancer removal tool...escpecially built for the Barra motors. Think it's like $180ish too. You could always use a normal tool and breaker bar to the ground and then crank the motor....not reccommended, but it works. Also, when doing the underdrives, replace the timing case cover seal (I think that's what it is). That's about $40ish.

Umm...BPT thermostat is a good investment. Doesn't open fully until 104 degrees or something, std opens way earlier. They are about $40. Once again, no rwkw increase.

Pretty much after that you're looking at decent coin....$600ish for a flash box, plus custom tunes. Scrape in for under 1g there. Cams and valve springs, once again...600 for cams, 450ish for valve springs, plus the money for another custom tune...Over 1500 there. Then you can look into doing headwork...which I don't think anyone with an N/A BA/BF has really explored....Ummm if you are after high end torque, you can look at the option of a turbo intake plenum, not much rwkw increase for the dollar though....Would be a good $2000 all up for that I'd imagine. You could get a custom twin throttle body setup made....Once again, big money for small gains...Also I hear rumours of a TB spacer being made for the N/A 6's...which should see some good gains. Stall converters, diff gears....LSD....manual conversion....All these things spring to mind. But remember it's not how much power you have, it's how well you get that power to the tarmac.

So in saying all that, there is definatly potential for a 200rwkw + N/A 6...especially with a BF as they had the barra 190 motor...dual knock sensors and dual cam timing. But, you'll need to spend some big coin to get there. But that's the price of being different.

Hope this helps. Cheers

• Member For: 18y 6m

Ugh....wrong.

Partly at least... works fine on a BA, but on a BF (as per the OP) there is a 2nd O2 sensor, hence the warning light, hence inevitable limp home mode. Hmmm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 23d

Hey anyhsv,

I ended up selling the car to buy a house...They wouldn't even consider us with a car loan...

But that fell through and I have decided to buy a house later. Just bought myself a 2004 XR6T.

Didn't get a chance to mod the NA at all unfortunately...

Cheers,

Dan

• Member For: 15y 7m 15d

I've been thinking about getting mine complete N/A tuned. I can't drive a turbo being on the P's here in NSW, but I figure, if I can get as much out of the engine without it being blown, I don't think I'll even go down that road of adding any blowers.

What I'm interested in, is what am I looking at in regards to work... for eg. If I get it stroked out to a 4.8 litre, do I need to take it to Fraud to get the schematics on the engines computers changed, or does the flash tune alter those? And if anyone here can give me an idea on what work I could do to get some nice additions to the output, I'm still learning in regards to mechanical anything... so all I get done will be by the professionals. And a rough idea on what mod costs what? I'm a traineeship boot licker also, so my pay is crap, so its something I either have to save up for a year or more to do, otherwise I can do it in installments, so what could be an option with taking time. I know its expensive to get it dyno'd every month when I get something new...

Cheers fella's,

Steve