The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

that be why I sold my last BF when I realized I could make profit from it.

now I wana go again but something more stock that won't be a writeoff if it gets stickered.

Edited by skidxr6t

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

man it is funny how things happen. what a coincidence that I too am up for some suspension work.

I was recently slapped with a 1.1k quote to get suspension work done on my car.

4 hours labour plus the parts.

What parts?

1 * NOLATHANE LOWER INNER CONTROL ARM BUSH KIT
1 * NOLATHANE LOWER SHOCK CONTROL ARM BUSH KIT
2 * STEERING RACK ENDS
1 * NOLATHANE RADIUS ROD BUSH KIT
1 * NOLATHANE BLADE ARM BUSH KIT
1 * WHEEL ALIGNMENT

Is this something that can be done at home?

I am assuming that a press is required.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Haha I know.  In the 13 years I had my EL, I can think of about 10 suspension jobs that were done.  Other than that, a new power steering hose is the only other repair I can think of (other than of course fluids, pads, filters, etc.).  Well until it sh!t the bed at the end, anyway.

Assuming everything but the blade arm bushes is at the front rather than the rear:

Inner lower control arm - $70 should be easy to fit - unbolt, lower the arm, destroy the old bush, install the new one which is split so doesn't need a press (I've only done this on an EL, but should be similar)

Lower shock control arm - $40 - easy.  Did about a year ago on BA.  Brake caliper off and out of the way, remove upright from upper control arm hub assembly can be moved around, disengage from strut.  I drilled a couple of holes through the old bushes (carefully to not damage the inner bush surface of the control arm!) and could then push out the old bushes -  I hole-sawed a chunk of wood and then with a couple of sockets and an F-clamp was able to press them out.  May not have even needed to drill - I thought of the press idea after I had drilled!  New ones are split so just pop in from either side.

Steering rack ends - $60, not sure but doesn't look hard.

Radius rod bushes - Not sure, I don't think BA on has radius rods?  Maybe they mean inner bushes upper control arms (not much else left in the front end), which I think would be easy if you are disconnecting the upright from the top ball joint anyway.

Blade arm bushes - $250ish, using Arron's link above for the entire arm.  Look's pretty simple.  

Then get a wheel alignment.

So I reckon you get get out of it for less than half of your quote and wouldn't need a press.  I've only personally done some of the jobs above, so others might have more thoughts where I have made guesses.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Haha hard to know! I'm on office worker and I'd have a go at that stuff. My main problem is I need the car as a daily. Not much fun if it's 11:30 pm and there's still car parts spread over the garage floor!

Reminds me of when I did the upper trailing arms in the rear of the EL. Thought I'd be efficient and do both sides at the same time to save tool swapping etc I.e. take bolt out left side then take it out right side. Problem was the arms help locate the axle against the pressure of the springs and weight of the suspension. Couldn't make the holes in the arm line up with the mounting points. Ended up tying the axle to the jack from the boot, then tying the jack to a tree. Then wound the jack to pull the axle until the bolt holes lined up.

Not sure if I was more amazed at my ingenuity or my stupidity. Now I only ever do one sidebar a time. Helps if you can't work out how something goes back together too.

• Like 2