The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 11d
the people that actually had points to make, rather than just saying "I like it, therefore it's true" have already had their say, so it's over unless one of those points is in contention, which I think they are not.

#thanksbutnothanks.
Poor keif ..... him and Arron must be syncing cycles #periodproblems
  • Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

haha I've seen you successfully debating before ;) this forum is really only just another medium to do so :P how about you justify your opinion based on facts, rather than just how you feel (or just admit it's an opinion and everybody can freely ignore it haha)?

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 11d

Ok Grinch...

Well from a psychological point of view, people are more inclined to spend actual money on needs rather than wants for Christmas due to the nature of the financial situation most people are in these days.
For example, it’s far more likely an adult will spend the money on a necessity such as a bill or an impending expense like petrol or food being that most people do not carry much cash these days so tend to use it as soon as they get it to get rid of it. I they do carry cash it just gets mixed into the existing cash in their possession.

Given the spirit of Christmas is about giving and gifts and caring blah blah, the idea traditionally is to give a gift.
Now considering a gift is typically and socially categorised as a thought out present that someone gives with the social convention of “it’s the thought that counts”... cash does not meet this criteria as it’s not a thought out present nor one that’s likely going to be spent on anything the person would consider meaningful or full filling.

Therefore when at a loss as to a gift to buy, knowing what the person likes, eg stationary, it’s more meaningful for a person to get a more personalised gift of a gift card for the other persons favourite stationary store.

This shows:
A) you thought about the gift and the persons likes
B) the person will spend the monetary value on something they want rather than need therefore meeting the “gift” criteria and the spirit of Xmas

Ipsofacto..... the money turns into a gift rather than a potential bill payment of necessity which is not a thought out present.

Happy ya grinch.
I hope u get coal from Santa