The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Member For: 14y 5m 14d
27 minutes ago, skidxr6t said:

what happens if you smoked a heap of meth in there though?

Apparently it gets into the walls and chemicals leach out over time and cause health problems.

Interestingly some articles state that even if you've never used meth, being somewhere it was used, it can leach into your body and cause you to fail drug tests.

Just had a read of this article and it doesn't sound like the sort of stuff hanging around where you live, eat and sleep.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-22/laws-needed-to-protect-home-owners-drug-lab-contamination-police/5973256

Detective Acting Inspector Geoff Marsh, from Queensland police state drug command, said the illicit substances were being cooked using makeshift equipment and a toxic cocktail of chemicals.

"They're made of acids [and] they're made of bases like a caustic soda, hydrochloric acid, acetone, peroxide - all the chemicals that you'd normally associate with industrial cleaning are utilised in the production of methamphetamine," he said.

Cleaners have long recognised the potentially deadly effects of these chemicals, and many are becoming certified to clean a property after police have finalised their investigation.

Jenny Boymal, from cleaning education company Jena Dyco, said without remediation, methamphetamine contamination could linger for years.

"We've had customers who have gone in to do remediation and have lost track of thought for five seconds and had very minor contamination wearing full-face respirator, full suit, and been very sick afterwards," she said.

"And that's walking into the property doing a quick assessment and walking out.

"Living in the property - you can't even imagine the level of contamination."

I'm looking at getting any places I think of buying tested, because there's a higher usage rate in the suburbs I am looking at.

Me for one, I don't know about you but "caustic soda, hydrochloric acid, acetone, peroxide" leaching into the environment around me and causing health problems is something I would like to avoid.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 1d
25 minutes ago, Ezy2Confuze said:

bases like a caustic soda, hydrochloric acid, acetone, peroxide

sweet puff don't sound so sweet no more. it's true keithy. sometimes to make a substance involves some quite nasty substances and while the finalised product should be clean of these things sometimes people are very messy and throw it around. even in the garden too where it can stay in the soil.

but also who knows that your master bedroom hasn't been used for wild sex shows with a 15 person bukkake session every single weekend for the past decade. its not poisonous but wow oh wow I'd be doing a good clean of any home. 

one home I helped do a reno on had mould under the carpet in one room as it'd obviously been damp and when doing the comms wiring I noticed all the powerpoints in that room were on different circuits LOL.

also you will only know about issues if the home has been raided for being a drug house or something. otherwise theres no way anyone can try suing you if you don't know. But if you got it "meth inspected" and it's positive then you'd probably have to tell the next buyer about this.

Edited by skidxr6t

21 minutes ago, k31th said:

surely the residue is so low as to not be an issue?

Obviously not from the comment I quoted in the article I linked:

Jenny Boymal, from cleaning education company Jena Dyco, said without remediation, methamphetamine contamination could linger for years.

"We've had customers who have gone in to do remediation and have lost track of thought for five seconds and had very minor contamination wearing full-face respirator, full suit, and been very sick afterwards," she said.

"And that's walking into the property doing a quick assessment and walking out.

"Living in the property - you can't even imagine the level of contamination."

I've only heard from one copper mate about attending a home meth lab, he was called out to bring a trailer so they could move equipment into it for evidence storage, even standing out on the verge with the lab in the shed out the back, he got headaches and took the next day off work.

Still doesn't top the story of attending a chemical factory fire though, he got a letter three weeks after attending that one to say no-one still knows what was in the barrel's that literally shot up into the air on fire and rained down, so they told him he needed new uniforms and new boots and to dispose of the others.

Here's an article on the fire in question:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/s478800.htm

RITA HOP: I got woken up because I thought there were kids playing with fireworks, or something.

It was a firework, alright, but 44-gallon drums flying in the air.

STEPHEN McDONELL: The toxic cocktail poured into the night sky.

Firefighters battled to control it.

Unknown chemicals combined to mutate, lethal dioxins were formed, and explosions sent the deadly material in all directions.

PROFESSOR PETER DINGLE, ENVIRONMENTAL TOXICOLOGIST, MURDOCH UNIVERSITY: You're getting huge plumes of black, dirty, contaminated, very toxic smoke.

For a decade, it had been licensed by the Government as a chemical and solvent recycling plant.

But its main business, in reality, was stockpiling toxic waste in thousands of drums - many rusting, leaking and unlabelled.

Waste produced by panel beaters, hospitals, large industrial companies was being dumped.

Heavy metals, acids, sodium aluminate and percloroethylene, or dry-cleaning fluid - a known carcinogen - along with many unknown substances were all lumped in together.

Yet government departments were recommending the site to industry.