The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 27d

if you ain't happy about work then my advice is to take ownership of it and do things yourself.

I run cables for people but I also have a business that makes websites for other people that find me via word of mouth. I have contacts in India who work on them for me. the profit margins are intense, I pay a few hundred for a site and then simply add a zero to that.

just food for thought because you obviously know IT stuff. it's pretty low risk but I still have insurance on my business just incase anything went wrong :)

Edited by skidxr6t

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

I'm happy in my work, even if it requires a lot of hard work, as the fact I work in a pretty small business means I can make a lot of difference with that hard work. Also I get heaps of different technical challenges :spoton:

• Like 1

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 11d
if you ain't happy about work then my advice is to take ownership of it and do things yourself.

Along these lines, don't know if I mentioned it on here yet or not, but I applied for uni the other day. Looking to do a Masters of Computer Science part-time fully online over the next 4 years while I continue to work full-time.

I've begun to realise I'm happiest at work when I'm designing and creating advanced spreadsheets and writing formulas and code. I like the creativity and problem solving elements to that kind of work, it's what gives me the most satisfaction at work. Plus I realise that I really don't want to do FIFO forever, so need a way out that can still earn alright money working from the city. I figure computing will be a more stable industry than mining in the future, so why not?!
  • Like 4

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 11d

That was saying I was considering it, not that I'd actually applied. Submitted my application on Tuesday

• Like 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 27d

that's all that matters then man!

I had a christmas break but yeah one downside downside of doing things yourself is I still had enquiries from people.

computers are certainly the future mr stripes, in the mean time maybe you could get into web development. I spent most of yesterday with my girlfriend while my guy in India is messaging me with project updates/small questions. I also manage peoples ad campaigns and SEO myself though - can't seem to outsource everything :(

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 30d
8 minutes ago, skidxr6t said:

I had a christmas break but yeah one downside downside of doing things yourself is I still had enquiries from people.

Yep - same here.

Surprisingly the busiest time for me was between xmas and new year - usually totally dead at that time.

At least diverting the phone and remote desktop allows me to get a bit of space.

Best one was when a client called while I was doing 200 down Gardner Straight :)