The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 1d
17 minutes ago, .Stripes. said:

Along these lines, don't know if I mentioned it on here yet or not, but I applied for uni the other day. Looking to do a Masters of Computer Science part-time fully online over the next 4 years while I continue to work full-time.

I've begun to realise I'm happiest at work when I'm designing and creating advanced spreadsheets and writing formulas and code. I like the creativity and problem solving elements to that kind of work, it's what gives me the most satisfaction at work. Plus I realise that I really don't want to do FIFO forever, so need a way out that can still earn alright money working from the city. I figure computing will be a more stable industry than mining in the future, so why not?!

You need to have a look at tibco spotfire. You'll never want to use excel for data analysis again.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 27d
1 hour ago, Rab said:

Best one was when a client called while I was doing 200 down Gardner Straight :)

reminds me of when I was doing fifo and the head honcho called me while I was driving - when I was literally dumped on site by myself and thrown the keys to a toyota v8 landcruiser despite having no licence - I was going quite fast overtaking a truck on the way to newman and the windscreen got caned by a giant rock and cracked all over. cost the company like $1000 or something to fix. I yelled out the F word when the rock hit then said ah all good man nothing happened.

also hell funny as I had to go offroad as it was a shortcut to the highway and the BHP side was just crap and I had to go really slow but once I was on rio tintos land it was all perfect. I was doing skids in the gravel tearing it all up for them and flew past one of those electronic speed signs at 150, it even read out my speed and hahahah that would have been logged.

ah I love the offtopic thread. now off to work I go.

Edited by skidxr6t
  • Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d

Talking of FIFO.  Was looking through papers and found my contract for when I was on Gorgan for 3 months in 2014. I hated it being away from home.  But at close to 10k a week It meant I could buy a few treats for myself. 

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 27d

it was ffing excessive man. I remember sitting down all day on AFL grand final day drinking beers and being paid allllll day long.

then was the time I got to site and cause of plane being late I missed inductions, got paid to sit in my room for 3 days and drink beer and shop online mmmmmmm.

edit: just had a lady call me and talk about wanting to 'reduce her wifi' and she made perfect sense but just didn't know the proper terms for some things. she said she got laughed at by another company after asking how to reduce her wifi. its like yeah sure I'll take the thousands of dollars off of you.

Edited by skidxr6t

• Member For: 14y 6m 8d

Hey Dan,

Are you going to get the place tested for meth?

One of the staff mentioned that we are looking at doing that for any properties we take back, as apparently the long term affects of meth contamination leaking out can cause all sorts of health problems and we don't want problems down the line if some lawyer thinks they can make money suing us for selling toxic properties.

I was put onto these guys http://methlabs.com.au/home-drug-lab-meth-testing-kits/