Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

Djelibeybi

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 16d
hi guys,

I've had my T for aproximatley 2 weeks now and love every thing about the car apart from the fuel bill. its an 04 5spd manual done 58000k's. I dont drive it that often. when I do I give it a bit of a squirt now and then but mainly the mrs just putts it around town during the week yet the fuel consumption doesnt go under 16l/100k's. its costing me about $75 a week to go less than 300k's!

I'm not going to mod the car for more power because of warranty concerns but what can I do to improve the blasted fuel economy?

otherwise if petrol gets much dearer it will be the shortest ownership in history.

cheers

mike.

What's the service history like on your car?

I'd recommend having the fuel filter changed, pump screen clean and replacing the O2 sensor. What fuel do you run in it?

Edited by M6 XR6T

• Member For: 18y 6m

Yeah,

No good news on this topic.. Usually I only drive my T (unmodded) close to the station so the engine hardly gets warm and I'm lucky if it gets 16L/100k. It's typically around the 16.4L/100k mark. Mine's 05MKII, 6sp man and has done just 8,600km.

Sorry, but that's the price you pay for big/heavy performance orientated car.

The fact that the T's need more RPM on board for pulling power at lower speeds than the NA's doesn't help either. :-(

Some board members comment that you can have various edit modes where one is purely for performance (ie. best fuel/don't care much about the fuel consumption) while the other is for saving $$ on fuel bills (ie. calibrated for less expensive fuel/better mileage). As you don't plan to mod, I guess not an option either :-(

• Member For: 17y 8m 14d
hi guys,

I've had my T for aproximatley 2 weeks now and love every thing about the car apart from the fuel bill. its an 04 5spd manual done 58000k's. I dont drive it that often. when I do I give it a bit of a squirt now and then but mainly the mrs just putts it around town during the week yet the fuel consumption doesnt go under 16l/100k's. its costing me about $75 a week to go less than 300k's!

I'm not going to mod the car for more power because of warranty concerns but what can I do to improve the blasted fuel economy?

otherwise if petrol gets much dearer it will be the shortest ownership in history.

cheers

mike.

What's the service history like on your car?

I'd recommend having the fuel filter changed, pump screen clean and replacing the O2 sensor. What fuel do you run in it?

usually a 95 octane. mainly vortex. service history is good as it's ex telstra fleet

Yeah,

No good news on this topic.. Usually I only drive my T (unmodded) close to the station so the engine hardly gets warm and I'm lucky if it gets 16L/100k. It's typically around the 16.4L/100k mark. Mine's 05MKII, 6sp man and has done just 8,600km.

Sorry, but that's the price you pay for big/heavy performance orientated car.

The fact that the T's need more RPM on board for pulling power at lower speeds than the NA's doesn't help either. :-(

Some board members comment that you can have various edit modes where one is purely for performance (ie. best fuel/don't care much about the fuel consumption) while the other is for saving $$ on fuel bills (ie. calibrated for less expensive fuel/better mileage). As you don't plan to mod, I guess not an option either :-(

I dont understand this edit mode? is that for a different tune in the ecu? if so what has to be done to get the tune for better economy and would it be worth doing? sorry for my inexperience

mike.

Edited by miker

• Member For: 18y 6m

Mike,

I don't have one myself so I'm not the best person to comment but since I mentioned it in the first place here it goes...in layman's terms:

Edit: A 'black box' device (about Au$900) with up to three different tunes (standard or custom which cost additional $) cabable of changing the ECU characteristics on the T. You just hook it into the ECU socket and in couple of minutes you can upload a different tune suitable to your requirements (ie. performance/economy/best of both). Ofcourse this box also allows you to store the factory tune for obvious reasons....we all know what they are but if you're not sure, just check other threads on 'Edit'...suffice to say, having your car 'edited' is apparently virtually undetectable to Ford service folk...although that is somewhat also debatable based on other users' feedback on this forum.

Unless you're also looking for better all round driveability (based on other members claims) going the 'edit path' just for the sake of saving on 'fuel bills' is probably not the solution.

I hope other members with edit and personal experiences in using them for fuel savings (anyone?) can provide some constructive feedbback.

16.4L/100 km? r you sure theres only 6 cylinders? Those figures are way over the top for a stock T . Edit is Capa ford flasher don't think economy is the main game here.

that figure has not moved the entire time we've had the car. now my mrs put $50 in tuesday morning and I have not driven the car all week. I can vouch for the fact she putts around town and doesnt have a lead foot at all. that figure is still 16.2 reading right now. are we starting to think there may be some other problem?

mike.