Cost Of Wastegate Mod?

private9

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 2m 1d
Sorry Jim if you took this as a shot at you as it was not meant to be. The tread asked about the cost of turbine housing modification and I believe a full explanation is needed for people to fully understand the large difference in prices from a simple port job to a fully developed modification.

“Regardless of wheather you die grind the housing or use a CNC process to enlarge the hole ultimately you will achieve the same result which is opening up the waste gate port to enable gases to be vented more efficiently”

Unfortunely, this is simply not the case as further experience will show you. Just like large gains can be made in porting a cylinder head in terms of air flow the same can be achieved with careful design and shaping of the waste gate opening.

The pricing not only refects the cost of the parts but also development time in making sure a modification works under all circumstance. As I explained, we also used similar methods earlier on but found that it still caused over boost problem on large output cars. You make mention of a actuator not holding onto boost, this is not what I have explained in fact it’s the opposite. On high kw cars the boost will actually get away from the desired boost level and sky rocket into the low 20 psi mark. This is where the extra time and effort along with a more expensive actuator is needed. I ‘m sure you will come across this in time, just as the others I have mentioned have.

Customer need to have all the information presented to them so they can understand fully why some modification are far more expensive, although on paper or in advertising they seem the same.

It is correct that some don’t need to go to the extreme levels, however Nizpro is a big believer of doing the best possible job the first time round as it is more cost effective than having to re-do it a second time if the customer choses to go further than they anticipated with their levels of modification.

I hope this clears my response up.

Cheers Simon

Hey Simon, I didnt think you were directly having a go at me but thanks for clarifying it up. Its pioneers of development like yourself that most of these modifications have been spawned from so keep up the good work guys.

Jimy

• Member For: 17y 9m 4d

does the car need a retune if you upgrade the housing and flapper valve? just curious as this is what's putting me off possibly doing the labour myself (R&I of turbo etc). personally I feel I'm more than competent with the tools just a matter of whethe rit needs a tuner to look at it.

Rhys

• Member For: 16y 9m 17d
Or you could just go to an external gate :hohum:

:slap:

However, doing this is by no means easy or inexpensive. Doing it properly means having a boss to bolt an ext. wastegate to.

I've seen variations where the turbine housing has been drilled and a boss welded to it to achieve this. Cheaper, but :pooh:. You really need a custom manifold made up to do it right.

anyway, my 2 cents

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 8d
:slap:

However, doing this is by no means easy or inexpensive. Doing it properly means having a boss to bolt an ext. wastegate to.

I've seen variations where the turbine housing has been drilled and a boss welded to it to achieve this. Cheaper, but :hohum:. You really need a custom manifold made up to do it right.

anyway, my 2 cents

I agree.. external gate is ugly unless you have a custom manifold to suit

:finger:

I've seen variations where the turbine housing has been drilled and a boss welded to it to achieve this. Cheaper, but ^_^. You really need a custom manifold made up to do it right.

anyway, my 2 cents

Couldn't agree more. If you are going to the epxpense to bother building a motor, and adding the goodies to it why would you spend over 1000 dollars fart arsing about with the stock port when an external is going to be a far better solution for a couple of $$$ more.