Bilstein Vs. Koni

bonza

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 30d

Been doing some research as to which adjustable shocks to put on a Typhoon. Found some interesting reviews/presentations on the topic of Bilstein vs. Koni.

http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/koni-bilstein-shocks.html (an interesting review, comes to the conclusion koni for street and bilstein for track)

http://www.koni-na.com/presentations/mustang/ (could be a bit bias on this one. Not really an apples with apples comparison as the koni's were adjustable and the bilsteins were non-adjustable but the koni's come out on top.)

What specific model of Koni and Bilstein adjustable shocks are people running on their vehicles? Once I've got some specific models I'll try hunt down some better comparisons.

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 5m 15d

Can't tell you the whole part number (reading from this http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/198...g?t=1203469065) but up front I'm running adjustable height Bilstein coilovers, part number looks like F4-BE5-B10 (that's all I can read). Want me to get the complete numbers tonight for ya?

• Donating Members

Yeah mate, if you could get me the full part numbers that would be a great help. Are the Bilstein's your running adjustable height only? So it has no adjustment for how the actual shock absorber performs?

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 5m 15d

Yes its only adjustable height at the front, and just a short body Bilstein shock at the rear. It did not bother me that the softness..etc is not adjustable, as they are great as they are.

I'll see if I can read the numbers off them properly tonight for ya.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 22d

The Koni yellows are rebound adjustable, however the Bilsteins are not. They can be revalved (ie. rebuilt) but are not adjustable for damping force on the car.

What do you want from these dampers? smooth ride, maximum performance, best value option? what springs will you be using?

check out airboarts review in this forum on the bilsteins, he is extremely happy with them.

Edited by Rob E

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 10d

I am happy with my Koni/King spring package with the Whiteline 27/22mm ajustable F/R anti rollbars.

The Bilstein was not available when I got mine done, so there was not much choice available.

I would agree just on past experience that the Koni is more streetable, where the Coilovers are better for the track.

Antiroll bars made more of a noticable difference than the springs/shocks.

• Donating Members
I am happy with my Koni/King spring package with the Whiteline 27/22mm ajustable F/R anti rollbars.

The Bilstein was not available when I got mine done, so there was not much choice available.

I would agree just on past experience that the Koni is more streetable, where the Coilovers are better for the track.

Antiroll bars made more of a noticable difference than the springs/shocks.

I think I'll be going down the same path as you Zap. I'll be fitting the swaybars first and then evaluate the setup. If I feel it needs some more stiffness, I'll then do the adjustable shocks and springs.

What model Koni's are you running Zap?

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 10d

They are Red Konis :blush:

I cannot remember what the model was, as I have had them for 4 years.

• Member For: 18y 9m 5d

Koni/Bilstein shocks are great and top quality gear, but the best result we have achieved in terms of a ride/handling compromise was the fitment of Tein Adjustable Coilover package, with EDC box. Simply remove all your stock crap and fit these units, AS WELL AS.... fitting the appropriate camber/castor kits and nolathane bushes up front. Contrast over Koni/Bilstein was huge, and the cost wasnt much different. You really dont need the control box, but if you're getting these shocks, its great fun to have an in-cabin adjustablilty facility and has great waank value too... Guess it all boils down to what makes you happy after all..

Mal K