Circuit Racing

sixfan

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 30d

Nelsonian,

Am looking to get a set of rims and tyres for trackdays and wondering your opinion on the best semi-slicks to grab for our cars?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 30d

Very broad question, but I will try and answer.

What size, event, goals, budget?

What camber and spring rates are you running to take advantage of the stick rubber?

What is your trackday experience?

Starting with a street semi 140+ treadwear is a better way to go and more enjoyable getting the rear end out predictably.

Yokohama Ad08R, RE71R, Hankook RS3 are all ok and what I'll be using at NSW Time Attack.

If chasing lap times on a 2nd set of rims, 2nd hand Porsche (fronts) cup slicks are often found in 240 250 or 270 in 18". Cheapest way to go fast. I have hook ups.

Gone through heaps of sets. Luck what you get 2nd hand, depends on heat cycling. They are difficult to set hot pressure and make little noise. Think all grip then nothing. Not progressive and a bitch to balance.

I really recommend new Hoosier R7 at the moment but think $500 per tyre. Hankook Z214 are also great and a little cheaper but not much. These are grooved slicks. R spec casing and less sensitive to set up and less of a hassle than full slicks.

If budget not a concern, I'd recommend Yokohama A050. Hankook Ventus TD a bit cheaper. Used both soft and medium but depends on the event. These are grooved and will also do a wet lap if required.

Nankang have some cheap semi's on ebay at the moment.

I can go into a lot more detail with specific questions.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Will probably be 18" 255's/275's f/r on a 2nd set of rims for trackdays.

Definitely street semi (will be driving to and from the track on them - initially at least)

Won't be any changes to steering/camber etc as yet. Suspension I'll adjust to what feels "best" as I learn (dampening adjustments)

Only a couple of days done so far - next one is under instruction next month - will probably still be on street tyres/rims unless I get myself organised real quick.

Car is definitely daily driver, so any changes are along those lines  - just want to improve what I can with that in mind.

• Donating Members

Over the 140 Treadwear rating is what you are looking for, that is streetable.

Yokohama AD08R.

Hankook RS3. RS4 out soon.

Bridgestone RE71R.

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec 2.

Bit cheaper Federal RSRR or Nankang N2R.

Toyo R888 would work too but is a 100 treadwear rating and not as good a street tyre as above (ie noisewise, wet ability)

Goodride Sport RS are also good value too.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Cheers - was going to go the R888's (or R888r's) the other week (stuck at rims at the moment).

Would they be up there given it's only short trip to the track and only looking at dry days on them, maybe 3, 4 or 5 runs a year?

The "value" isn't too important yet - I don't think I'm going to be chewing through them at any great rate. When/if I get more dedicated and regular it'll come into account.

• Donating Members

The A050 or Z221 Ventus TD are infinitely better tyres than the R888R if interested in lap times.

As mentioned, these Nankang A1R are much better value than the R888R too if leaning towards sub 100 tw r specs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NANKANG-AR-1-TYRE-80-TW-265-35ZR18-97Y-XL-COMPETITION-SEMI-SLICK-R34-GTR-JZA80-/262742695377?hash=item3d2caf5dd1:g:TWIAAOSwRH5XKIe4

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Thanks heaps.

Will look towards them :)

Was wary of the brands I've never heard of WRT street tyres. 

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 9y 7m 20d

Had my first go on Barbagello on saturday, and wow its a bit harder than Collie. First thoughts were how hard it is to judge where the apex of the corner is because theyre quite long corners often going over hills, as such I think I hit the apexes way too early and just end up hugging the inside of the track for the rest of it. None the less I had an absolute killer time and at least memorized the track somewhat for next time. Ran a best of 1:14.3 with plenty of room for improvement, and im looking for advice on how to reduce it 

Car: BA XT -> BA XR6 turbo conversion (5 speed manual)

Mods: PBR premium front brakes with PMu HC800 pads, DBA slotted and drilled rotors, Territory rear brakes with Bremtec Evolve pads, Castrol high performance brake fluid, rear sway bar removed. Stock everything else

VIdeo:

few pics:

e5QuNY9.jpg?1

dxPnNXs.jpg?1

2oIXGbN.jpg?1

FXKGduE.jpg?1

EW33ofX.jpg?1

T6Wr7tJ.jpg?1

Edited by ERICtheBERIC
video embed
  • Like 2

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d

You need better tyres and suspension, both setup correctly.  This will enable you to in increase your corner speed which will reduce your lap time.