best aftermarket turbo to buy

buster

• Member For: 16y 1m 25d

looking for any turbo gurus out there who could give me some advice on upgrading my turbo. I have a garret 700hp turbo which gives me 500@rwhp on my el xr6. It suffers from turbo lag a bit doesnt have much power down low. Once the rpm gets higher it comes on very hard and have trouble with traction. Is there a comparable brand of turbo out there with simalar or more power output but with less lag. Apreciate any type of advice thanks

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 4d

If by 700hp you mean its a garrett GT35, then I don't know what someone has done with your setup, but it doesn't get much better, on a well designed exhaust manifold, they make 25psi of boost by 2300rpm, it doesn'y comeany faster than that. Do you know what exact turbo you have?? Any pics and spec of the setup?? I could possibly be something else, not that turbo that is creating your lag.

6BOOST

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 8d

Yeah you shouldnt have much lag... Id be looking at the tune if all the hardware is good... ie good flowing manifolds, piping, exhaust.

Whats on the car mate?

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 3d

Please be more specific.

What turbo, engine, ecu, IC, manifolds and exhaust.

What trans?

700hp is more powerful than the stock Garrett 3540 that we use.

What boost do you have at 2000, 2500, 3000 & 3500 revs, or a boost dyno graph to share?

EL is lighter than BA/BF, so you should have an advantage in acceleration over our heavier cars.

More likely a tuning issue.

Brian

• Member For: 16y 2m 18d

well I would recomend something like the GT40R (4094 not the 4088) and the GT42Rs (4202). should spool pretty fast on a 4.0ltr and would make killer power higher up.

spool is a very difficult thing to messure. it will be different for every gear you pull in and is very dependent on other mods.

Cheers

Chris.