Vibration At 80-90 Kms

ufo

• Member For: 19y 16d

I got a 2004 BA MKII XR6T with 18" factory wheels. Entire car is in excellent condition, no accidents, only 37000 Kms and new tyres (only 4000km witht the new tyres). It developed a vibration on the steering wheel. thinking may be one of the weights fell off from the rims took it back and got front wheels balanced. It still is there. When I took it back to the allignment shop, all they could do was scratch their heads. Vibration comes in around 75-80 Kms/hour, it is more pronounced between 80-90 kms/hour. Eventhough it is still there, it is not that much at freeway speeds (110-120 kms/hour)

One other weird thing, when you doing 110-120 kms/hour on cruise control, meaning no change in speed, vibrations come and go.

Has anybody experienced anything like this or any idea what could be wrong ?

ute or sedan? you may have a dud tire or possibly an awol drive shaft wieght. If the car is a lowered sedan you may also suffer vibration from the rear CV's

It is a sedan and has not been lowered, no mods to the drive line. what the heck is awol ?

• Member For: 16y 8m 8d

I have a vibration over 80 which my tyre shop couldn't fix with a balance etc and said the wheel is fine must be something else. Took it to another tyre mob for second opinion and found I have a buckled rim.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d
I got a 2004 BA MKII XR6T with 18" factory wheels. Entire car is in excellent condition, no accidents, only 37000 Kms and new tyres (only 4000km witht the new tyres). It developed a vibration on the steering wheel. thinking may be one of the weights fell off from the rims took it back and got front wheels balanced. It still is there. When I took it back to the allignment shop, all they could do was scratch their heads. Vibration comes in around 75-80 Kms/hour, it is more pronounced between 80-90 kms/hour. Eventhough it is still there, it is not that much at freeway speeds (110-120 kms/hour)

One other weird thing, when you doing 110-120 kms/hour on cruise control, meaning no change in speed, vibrations come and go.

Has anybody experienced anything like this or any idea what could be wrong ?

It will be tyre or rim related , as it diminishes as the speed increases over 110 I would say its wheel balance, a dud tyre or a buckled rim. take it to a large tyre retailer and have him balance them. Or get a set of wheels off your mate and see if the vibration is still there. Then swap 1 wheel at a time till it comes back , then you have found the suspect one. Arron

• Member For: 21y 20d

My wifes Fairmont 2004 BA has had two vibrations. One fixed, the other not and I worked together with the sevice guy and was defeated on the second one.

The first in the steering wheel ended up being the front hub wheel bearings. We replaced them both and that eliminated one vibration.

The second is a resonant vibration at 95kph. They took the rear end apart, balanced the driveshaft which did improve it but it was still there. They weren't prepared to do a parts substitution to eliminate what it could be as I reckon that was the only way to narrow down what it is.

I took another Fairmont of same year and km and the same vibration was in that car also. So I reckon that this particular vibration is common but most people wouldn't recognise its there.

Goodluck

My wifes Fairmont 2004 BA has had two vibrations. One fixed, the other not and I worked together with the sevice guy and was defeated on the second one.

The first in the steering wheel ended up being the front hub wheel bearings. We replaced them both and that eliminated one vibration.

The second is a resonant vibration at 95kph. They took the rear end apart, balanced the driveshaft which did improve it but it was still there. They weren't prepared to do a parts substitution to eliminate what it could be as I reckon that was the only way to narrow down what it is.

I took another Fairmont of same year and km and the same vibration was in that car also. So I reckon that this particular vibration is common but most people wouldn't recognise its there.

Goodluck

Thanks for all replies guys,

I don't think it is a drive line I.e. shaft, issue because it is the streeing wheel that is vibrating not the whole car. if it was a buckled rim, tyre shop that did the balance would have noticed it, I.e. it wouldn't balance. Only remaining thing is the bearings, may be one of them is faulty or whatever or abother inherent problem of our lovely XRT s

• Member For: 16y 11m 25d

This is from an Ebay Seller BA- BF front Hubs.

" On these models the hubs tend to get noisy and when the bearings wear they can also cause brake shudder. These new suckers will help quieten down the front of you car and make it much nicer to drive. "

Some stuff from the workshop CD. There is too much to show it all here.

Vibrations1.jpg

Vibration2.jpg

• Member For: 20y 8m 9d

Yes, Yes Yes,

Have had a vibration in my BF2 from new up until 20k when they finally pinpointed the problem. Front brake disc was out of whack. This did not show up on braking (ie no brake shudder under braking at all).

The vibration would come on at approx over 80-90k's and on the freeway at around 110k. I had all sorts of work done, drive shaft balance , wheel alignment, change of mags and tyres etc, no go. Just a sh*tty brake disc. Brand new car and ruined the experience for the 1st 20k's.

If your local service guy at Ford wants to know more ask him to call Ash at Gregorys Ford at Braddon in the ACT. Ash heads up one of the service teams there and would not let up until he found the problem. He may be able to steer your local guy to a more exact solution.

Good luck, hope this is your problem!