Info Needed On Ba Cam Timing

revhead_88

• Member For: 16y 3m 24d

gday

im currently fitting a ba engine in my eb. and b4 you say this is just another dreamer. I've already bought a engine, gearbox, ems 8860 computer, diff and almost everything else I need... you can read my build thread if you want

http://www.eafalcon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1508

but what I need to know is how the dual vct works. I know it uses oil pressure in the phasers to control how much they advance/retard, via pulse width modulation. but I want to know every detail how they work in lots of detail

can anybody help me?

• Member For: 16y 11m 3d

This is the best I can do for you.

Dual VCT phasers

BA Falcon introduces dual infinitely variable camshaft timing, one of the first applications of this technology across the Ford world.

The aim of the system is to boost torque at any rpm position.

In addition to the improved performance across a broad rev range, there is a noticeable decrease in fuel consumption, especially at part throttle.

At cruise on highway, where throttle openings are reduced, the system is able to retard the timing by as much as 50 degrees.

This cuts fuel consumption as well as providing internal exhaust gas recirculation that helps lower tailpipe emissions.

At idle, the camshaft is advanced by 10 degrees for smoother running.

Camshaft variation of 60-degrees allows the four-valve engine to provide plenty of low down torque. Traditionally four-valve engines demonstrate a strong top end but suffer from a weak bottom end. Thanks to the dual VCT system, the Falcon I6 provides purposeful torque from very low revs.

The transition through the 60-degree advance/retard range is seamless, unlike some less advanced systems where there is a defined point at which one or other program takes effect.

The amount of adjustment is determined by comparing the position of the camshaft with a pre-mapped calibration.

Each camshaft on the I6 engine is fitted with a camshaft phaser that allows up to 60-degrees of variation, depending on engine load. The variation is activated via oil-pressure acting against the phaser.

An oil control valve is fitted on top of each camshaft phaser for immediate response and better reliability. Both control valves are activated simultaneously by impulses received from the Powertrain Control Module.

Mounting the oil control valve within the cylinder head removes the need for separate oil ways and offers greater durability and reliability, as well as packaging efficiencies and weight savings.

To ensure perfect seating of the camshafts, the four VCT oil control galley plates are bolted to the top of the cylinder head before the galleys for the camshafts are bored.

Each of the four galley plates is unique so they cannot be mismatched during in-field service. The galley plates locate on dowels sunk into the head for perfect positioning every time.

• 2 weeks later...